Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 25, 2017   #1
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Default Homemade self watering pots...

Would like to get some opinions on these as i'm thinking of building a few more?

I'm also working on some 5 gallon buckets made basically the same way but with the round 1 gallon icecream buckets.
Old July 12, 2018   #2
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

I like that system. I use a similar system using 5 gallon buckets. There is a video on youtube where I saw someone explaining how to do it and it seemed a cheaper version of Raybo's earth boxes. I find they work well but as the buckets are slightly tapered the top bucket sometime slips down am inch or two which can ruin your wicking system. Otherwise the biggest problem is that when the plants get big with fruit they can fall over in a wind. I have done them with gargage bag taped over the top to slow evaporation but ditched that in favour of companion planting marigolds, basil, chives and so on with them.

I noticed your post is from last year. Did you make the 5 gallon version? How did these ones work out??

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote