Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 6, 2007   #1
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

Default Too late to start in zone 9?

For various reasons, I haven't started my seeds yet. i was thinking I would just buy plants this year , but I realized that I really dont want to do that. I'm thinking of starting some seeds tonight. Do you think its too late for me? I'm in Sacramento. Last year I didn't get my plants planted out until the 3rd week of April so I'm thinking I might still be okay. Any thoughts?
Joel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

It appears you are USDA Zone 9a and Sunset Zone 14.

The third week of April sounds exceptionally late to me, but if your summers are extremely moderate, with daily temperatures of 70-80 and nighttime temperatures of 50-60 with low humidity, then I suppose it is your choice to wait that late.

In Houston, it is a mad rush to get plants started (we sow seeds Dec 26-Jan 7) and in the ground as close to March 1st as possible as fruitset beyond May is made difficult or impossible by prolonged periods of warm, humid evenings and blistering daytime sun.

I think you probably have more flexibility in your climate than we do, and could plant some tomatoes in the coming weeks and then more in April.

If you planted seeds tonight in ideal conditions (moist soilless seed starting mix) you could have transplants ready by the 3rd week of April.

Looking at the weather reports for Sacramento this week, you are having identical day and night temperatures to Houston. If I were in your shoes, I would let my impatience get the best of me and buy some plants and plant immediately.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2007   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There is more to it than temperature; Sacramento is dryer than Houston, which will give you a better chance to produce fruit.
Seeds are cheap and there is no harm in trying I would just go with early fruit set plants and make sure you plant some cherry tomatoes just in case that is all you get some fruit from.
Jubilee has done well for me here in the Austin area all summer long as well as the dreaded yellow pear right up till the first frost.
I have planted late and had great luck here with all kinds of tomatoes. (Shade helps)!
That full all day sun thing is a joke where the sun is more intense a little shade goes a long way.
To me there are no strict rules on when to start seeds it is just better to do so early but that is no reason to not do so if you are late.
I have started seeds late with tomato plants already in the ground and the late ones caught up with the plants already in the ground.

And you shouldn’t have to wait 5 weeks to put them in the ground, mine will and have gone in the ground after just 2 weeks of planting seed, the sooner the better as they will be stronger for not babying them.
The longer you baby them the harder it is for them to go out on their own and do for their selves.
((((Just like kids.))))
Gardening is not a strict set of rules to go by; it is a learned art that requires tinkering with the right plants and attitude and the experience or gift to do a good job.

I just pulled a ripe tomato from a plant that has weathered this winter inside and out in a container and it is now starting to go strong again, I will simply cut the plant back and let the new shoots start to grow.
Just get the ones that can handle the heat and of course buy a few plants from the store.
You should be able to find heirloom tomatoes from a nursery as most of them have started to sell them now.
I don’t envy Feldon and that rotten ((not tomato)) friendly Houston weather.

Good luck!!!!
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I was so astounded at the selection of varieties available from local nurseries in the last week that I seriously considered giving up growing my own varieties. For about 5 minutes that is.

When you can buy Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Eva Purple Ball, Green Grape, Anna Russian, Black Cherry, Red Brandywine, etc. etc. etc. from local stores, it's quite tempting to scale back your own growing measures.
Old March 6, 2007   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Feldon I’m glad to see it too.

Maybe folks will start to see that there is more to life than hybrids and we can insure that there are good seeds to plant from for years to come other than depend on big business to supply them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2007   #6
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Joel5000,

I live in inland SoCal, which I think is alot like Sacremento in terms of heat/ dryness, except it doesn't get as cold here and warms up earlier. My main crop of plants are in the ground as of last saturday and are doing great. As for starting new seed now I would say it depends on the variety you want to grow and the amount of cool spells we will get later to allow fruit set. Earlier planting is better for the heat sensitive long season varities like Brandy Wine, so you may run in to trouble planting in late april for these kind. Last year I set out heatwave and earlygirl plants in mid may and they pumped out fruit even in 100+ weather(although these were not the most tastey tomatoes). I would suggest to buy some larger transplants and set them out earlier and also start your seeds now and see what happens. By the way, I sowed 150 seeds last Saturday and will be plating a second batch late, so I am also keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be to late for these toms. Good luck!

Vince

Last edited by Vince; March 7, 2007 at 03:50 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2007   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Vince, I believe you are Sunset Zone 19, which means you get slightly milder frosts and evening temps than Jole. I've actually visited Riverside. From what I can see of both zones, I think a planting out date of April 1st is plenty conservative. No need to wait until the 3rd week of April. Heck, I'd plant right now if temps are looking stable.

Sunset Zones are much more specific than the USDA Hardiness Zones.

Then there is the Heat Zone Map which helps explain why Zone 8b Seattle and Zone 8b Houston are not even remotely similar in growing conditions or planting calendars. In some Zone 9's you have all summer and into early fall to grow vegetables. In other Zone 9's, vegetables pretty much quit in late June so you have to start early and act as if you were growing in Saskatchewan.

Last edited by feldon30; March 7, 2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old March 7, 2007   #8
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,

I was not aware of what sunset zone I was in. Afterlooking at the link you provided it seems you are right(zone 19). Thanks.

Vince
Old March 7, 2007   #9
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

I should add that I got decent crops last year, even with getting the plants out that late, so I'm not too concerned about planting that late, although first weekend in April would be better. I'm more concerned about whether or not my seedlings will be big enough to set out if I shoot for the 2nd weekend in April.

I went ahead and started seeds last night. I figure if they're not ready by the time I'm ready to plant, I'll buy transplants.

Thanks for the advice and sugestions, guys.

For those of you in Sacramento, when do you put your plants in the ground?
Old March 7, 2007   #10
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Davis. Last year, I had just put them in the ground now. My transplants, which I had started in Jan. were leggy, and more than ready to go out. But I had a great crop, most in fruit before the triple digit heat set in. This year, I waited until just 2 weeks ago to start seed. This weekend, I'll be making new cages, and am going to try and get some of my seedlings in the ground.

The man who owns RedBarn nursery here says to wait until Tax time to plant out.

Good luck!
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #11
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Vermiit. I used to live in Davis, so I know Redbarn Nursery well. I'm glad to hear I'm only two weeks behind you with my seeds. Maybe I won't be too late; I'll just set them out kind of small.
Old March 8, 2007   #12
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Joel, look for posts about 'Norcatt' come summer. We had a HUGE tomato tasting here in Davis with all the Tomatovillians in the area that coule make it. Covered 3 tables with tomatoes. Bruce even made tomato sorbet. It was great fun!
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote