Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 14, 2007   #16
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

I use the large clear plastic storage bins because the covers make it unnecessary to keep watering. These bins come in many sizes and cheap and they stack to save room.

Inside, I use Jiffy peat pellets because it’s very convenient. In the past, I found out that the plastic net around the pellets never decomposes even that did not seem to impact growth, this year, I will remove the netting first.

I put one seed in one pellet, because I have been able to get at least 95% germination, I don't need to waste too many seeds. Once the seedlings get to a good size the pellets get transplanted in 4” x 4” square plastic pot, which can support the growth to may be blossoming stage. By that time, hopefully it will be warming enough to go outdoors. The pots also stack.

Because I am lazy, I have never taken the efforts of first hardening the seedlings. I don't know what harms I have done to them in terms of production.

All you guys in Z6/7, are you ready to start? :wink:

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2007   #17
dirtdigging101
Tomatovillian™

Default no i do not move them the cups that is

once the plants are in the cups they are on shelving 4' x 8' under 8 lights with a ossolating fan untill they get bigg enough then planted in dirt in the ground in the green house s no i do not move them around much get about 500 per shelf 512 actually
dirtdigging101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #18
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Here, as I'm sure up there, the fruit and veggie stores get broccol, beans and stuff in foam boxes. I get these for free, cut down the sides, use the spare bits of foam as chocks, and manage to get 24-25 foam cups in each tray. Locked in tight. After transplant into the patch I fill the foam boxes with potting mix and sow my salad greens. That's when you know spring/summer is coming. And if a monsoon is forecast, put the trays under the eaves.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #19
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitwise Gamgee
Soilsniffer, how long do those newspaper pots hold together? What kind of tray do you use?

Thanks,
Bitwise
BG: The newspaper pots have never rotted or split on me, not once. The paper obviously softens a bit when I add water to it, but the pots stay together -- it's not like I poke the pots with a stick to see if they're strong enough.

Last year, I had tomatos in the paper pots for six weeks. Plants did fine, pots held up. I kept the pots in plastic storage tote bin things, each one slightly larger than a shoebox. The cat litter trays mentioned earlier is a great idea, I think I'm gonna hit up the dollar store and get a bunch of those.

J
Old January 23, 2007   #20
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctomato
I use trays (which I recycle) and I buy flat inserts (1204 - means 12 cells of 4 each) or deep 606's (more root mass).

It helps save on space under lights.

Tray inserts are usually cheap $1-2 each and they can be used over by washing them with a little bleach water.
Thanks. The 606s are exactly what I want.

pbench.com has the 606 @ 5 for $6.75. However their cheapest frieght on 10 inserts and 5 trays is $20.75. Doesn't get much better when ordering more.

Know of another source? I see case lots at good prices but don't want to spend $100 plus on trays and inserts. Not much gardening stuff out where I live yet. Do Lowes and Home Depot usually carry these sizes?
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2007   #21
bcday
Tomatovillian™

If you only want 5 trays and 10 inserts, see if there is an Agway store in your area. The Agway here has 606's for I think 79 cents, and trays 99 cents.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2007   #22
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcday
If you only want 5 trays and 10 inserts, see if there is an Agway store in your area. The Agway here has 606's for I think 79 ¢, and trays 99 ¢.
That was fast! Appreciate the information. There are several Agways within a reasonable distance.
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2007   #23
Spider
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Tray support for "Styro" Cups

I have used a number of different types of flats for growing plants in styro foam cups but now use just one and they are "free," light weight, sturdy and versatile.
I obtain styrofoam boxes, used to ship fish, from my local supermarket fish manager which accomodate 8, 12 and 16oz "styro cups" perfectly and you may top or bottom water the plants without removing them from under the light source. It has worked for me for a number of years.
Spider
Old January 23, 2007   #24
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Spider, you spun a web right on my reply Your local pet store that sells fish will have plenty of those boxes also.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2007   #25
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I posted this in another thread, but 4" pots work out to about a quarter a piece from Charley's Greenhouse including shipping when ordered in 90+ qty.

And right now, Home Depot has trays for $1 each.

I bleached and washed the ones I used in hot water and am reusing them all this year. Next year, I may try the beer bottle reusing trick of actually bringing a big 12 qt stockpot of water to a boil on the stove and dropping the containers in there for 2-3 minutes each to really sterilize them. Fear the fungus!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote