Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 5, 2019   #1
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Default Air Fryers

I've been thinking about buying an air fryer to avoid cooking in oil. I've seen many comments on the quality of food cooked in an air fryer compared to the same food cooked in hot oil. Most people said they can't tell the difference in food cooked in an air fryer and a convection oven, but it isn't at all similar to oil fried foods.

I'm curious if anyone on this forum uses an air fryer and likes the results.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #2
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried tomatoes. Overall a mixed bag. You can get pretty decent "fried" chicken, but if you have a good convection toaster oven (say 1200 watts and up) the toaster oven will do almost everything the air fryer does. To me, the fryer doesn't justify the space it takes up over a toaster oven.

When I find a new convection toaster oven of the perfect size and features for the two of us, I plan to get rid of the air fryer and our old toaster oven. That Emeril 360 thing looks pretty good, but a little too large. Still looking...

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; August 5, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

We just gave one away. It did cook tater tots, hash browns (patties), and a few other things quite well, but something was missing from the taste of everything. We tried a light coating of several different oils, but even those still left us with something missing in the taste. So, we did a final taste test by doing French fries both ways. Right after the test, we decided that the Air Fryer would not be staying with us.

Our daughter-in-law said she wanted to try it, so there it went. She loves it so far after doing some fries, and last night a roast. Glad somebody can use it. LOL !!!!!

There is something in the oils we cook with that adds to or enhances or changes the flavors of the item(s) we cook and we are accustomed to that taste. When that component is missing, we notice right away. So, the fried potatoes will come from a skillet in this house for now.

The Air Fryer taste was not helped with salt, pepper, cayenne, Cajun, Mexican, or European spices or flavorings. So, Don, this brings to mind that line from the movie "El Dorado". Robert Mitchum (the now sober sheriff) said to John Wayne (the gun for hire), "....you're on your own".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #4
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

We have one and use it daily. We hardly ever fry anything now. (emphasis on hardly).

I wouldn't try it on steaks, but everything else comes out very tasty.

As with anything, a little experimentation will help you decide what works for you and what doesn't.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm air frying at work as we speak.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #6
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Cooks Illustrated did a review of air fryers if anyone has a membership.
This is what they had to say about air fryers in general:

We were pleasantly surprised to find that we liked a fair number of the air fryers and ultimately recommended about half the models we tested. That said, an air fryer isn’t for everyone. If you usually cook for more than two people or are expecting deep-fried food from one of these, then an air fryer probably isn’t for you. Air fryers hold only one or two servings, and the food ultimately isn’t any different from what you can achieve in your home oven.

However, if you prepare a lot of frozen foods, cook in small batches, or find waiting for an oven to preheat a big pain, then an air fryer might be a good choice. These gadgets also won’t heat up your kitchen the way a conventional oven does (in fact, the outsides almost always stay cool to the touch), which is nice for hot days. And because our favorite models have automatic shutoff functions and hidden heating elements, they’re about as safe as a microwave, making them handy for teenagers looking to make a quick after-school snack.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have way too much homemade hog lard and beef tallow to be getting an air fryer anytime soon.
Twice fried french fries in beef tallow is the bomb.
Tossed the dreaded hot air popcorn popper years ago.
But may mom and dad got me a Joe Namath butter up popcorn popper for Christmas when I was around 15.
Used it a lot.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #8
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

We love our air fryer. We didn’t have room for another appliance on the counter, so we replaced our toaster oven with the cuisinart combination toaster, oven, convection oven, air fryer. We use it daily as an air fryer and love the way the food comes out. I will have to admit that we haven’t deep fried any food in years and years, so we cannot make a direct comparison. We do appreciate the quality of the food prepared by air frying method very much. We do use each feature of that versatile appliance, so it earns its spot on the counter.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #9
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

I had a very good deep fryer,it had a container that the oil drained into than you could put it in the fridge to keep it fresh. It was still a lot of work to set up and clean it. Plus the thing about living healthy. So I got a Air Fryer things cooked in it are just as good Last week I even made Fried Pickles in it. I by the way l give the deep fryer to a friend. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

There are lots of food prep videos on YouTube to help you decide if an air fryer will be useful. My favorites are from Kelly's Cookin' She has many recipes for everyday "fried" foods. They are typically short -- maybe 5-7 minutes.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #11
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I think if you gave up fried food for health or other reasons and never really fry foods, but would still like to enjoy them and don't have a convection oven, or don't want to heat up the oven, or only want to cook for 1 or 2, you might enjoy an air fryer. If you have a convection setting on your oven you can probably "oven fry" equally well without one. If you fry foods traditionally on regular or semi regular basis and expect an air fryer to give you the same results, you might be disappointed. I occasionally toy with idea of getting one, but honestly, I keep several appliances in the basement because I am out of room in the kitchen and don't use them often enough, so I keep deciding I don't need one more.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #12
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I have two types and use them both. My favorite is the egg shaped Farberware that I use frequently for 1-2 serving homemade chicken nuggets and french fries. I thought about replacing it with a two rack version egg style which seemed to have mixed reviews from people who had the same idea about cooking larger quantities of food. It was taking them too long with the larger unit. Instead I bought a cheaper version of nancyruhls's Cuisinart. I should have sprung for her Cuisinart. I bought a huge Black and Decker toaster style convection oven. It's too slow for fries but works well for cooking fish and warming pizza. Toasting bread is impossible. Slow and dries the bread out. I have a small old Panasonic infra-red toaster oven that runs laps around this monstrosity.
- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #13
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Cooks Illustrated did a review of air fryers if anyone has a membership.
They (America's Test Kitchen, that is) have an air fryer review that is available now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFyMMUUt6ns

My sweetie really wants one, whereas I feel we have too many appliances and kitchen gadgets already. Two "on-paper mature" adults moving in together, we're still whittling down the "two of everything" kitchen.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2019   #14
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I was getting opinions from folks who hate them and folks who love them. One of our friends who I gave a lot of okra to, called to tell me they ate their air fried okra and it was the best fried okra they have ever eaten. That comment made our minds up and we ordered one with a large basket on Amazon and received it today..

I started experimenting with French fried sweet potatoes. The taste and appearance were great. The texture was like wet noodles. I doubt you can cook crisp sweet potatoes in an air fryer.

I cooked two large, bone in pork chops in it. They were great in all aspects except I will lower the cooking time in the future.

I used my friends recipe for fried okra (he got it from the allrecipes.com web page. Look for "air fryer fried okra"), and cooked about one pound of sliced okra. It turned out perfect in all aspects. I won't say it is the best I've ever cooked, but it was very good and better than any restaurant fried okra I've eaten.

My wife also ordered the "Americas Test Kitchen" air fryer recipe cookbook. It has some great recipes in it.

Last edited by DonDuck; August 28, 2019 at 07:54 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2019   #15
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I'd say, that I prefer things that are not air-fried, but the things that I have tried that were air-fried did not suck. Everything was OK. Nothing to write home about but the air fried cooking did a mediocre job at cooking.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote