Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 24, 2015   #121
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Just some randoms from last season:

[IMG][/IMG]

just a test, more to follow....
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #122
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

ok looks good lol . .. here goes nothin..
[/IMG]

Old April 24, 2015   #123
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Those look great Mike. I have a question, the paste your holding in your hand, what variety is that? I grew amish paste last year and they looked exactly like that, but from what I read, i wasnt expecting it to be striped like that.

Edit, your square tomato cages are great, did you make them?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #124
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Those look great Mike. I have a question, the paste your holding in your hand, what variety is that? I grew amish paste last year and they looked exactly like that, but from what I read, i wasnt expecting it to be striped like that.

Edit, your square tomato cages are great, did you make them?
Yes everything looks great in the photos it makes me want a tomato sandwich.

My guess on the paste tomato would be speckled AKA striped Roman, you did not have a striped Amish paste I hope you saved seeds it is one of the very best of the paste tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #125
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Yes everything looks great in the photos it makes me want a tomato sandwich.

My guess on the paste tomato would be speckled AKA striped Roman, you did not have a striped Amish paste I hope you saved seeds it is one of the very best of the paste tomatoes.

Worth
Worth, are you saying Amish paste does not look like that? Sorry, your reply is sort of confusing. Whatever it is, it was very tasty, and looked nust like what Mike is holding in his hand. It was juicier than most pastes, we ended up using most sliced lengthwise on sandwiches.
Old April 24, 2015   #126
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouka_f_slouka View Post
I saw some Fava beans, aka broad beans. How easy is it to grow those?
Fava beans are a cool weather crop. They are winter hardy to about USDA Zone 8b. For best results they should be planted in the fall where they are winter hardy. I'm in zone 4/5 so I have to plant in the spring. I have had a hard time growing them successfully, because, it often gets hot before they flower. And in hot weather they will flower like crazy, but not set seeds.

This year, I planted them in the walk-in cold-frame about 4 weeks before I was expecting the winter snows to melt, and set them out as soon as possible. They are flowering and doing great.

Those plants in the greenhouse were an experiment. They have made hundreds of flowers, but only about one pod formed. It's too hot in there.

This is the 5th year that I have grown fava beans. I'm finally getting my techniques and their genetics aligned with my garden. The first three years I harvested less seed than went into the ground. Last year I harvested enough seed to replant and there is a small bottle of seed left over. I may have enough this year to start eating them.

Here's what one of my fava beds looked like this afternoon. I have great hopes for the plants that are flowering precociously. The weather is still cool enough that I expect them to set seeds. I planted broad beans, horse beans, and pigeon beans, so between them maybe something will do well.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #127
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Hey guys (and gals!),

Thanks, the striped variety was Casady's folly- won't grow it again.. Very susceptible to ber, while I lost maybe 4 dozen total it has massive yields and quickly recovers mid-season.. The reason I won't bother with the variety is due to the flavor - bland and more towards the bitter end of the spectrum than anything.. I left most of the fruit on the vines and ended up composting them - it was a shame really ..

Thanks! Yes I did make the cages myself .. Found a diy online.. They're made out of cattle panels and could support my weight on all sides (160lbs!). If you're interested I'll try to dig it up (pun intended lol).
Old April 24, 2015   #128
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Worth, are you saying Amish paste does not look like that? Sorry, your reply is sort of confusing. Whatever it is, it was very tasty, and looked nust like what Mike is holding in his hand. It was juicier than most pastes, we ended up using most sliced lengthwise on sandwiches.
Sorry What I am saying is you didn't have a stripped Amish paste because as far as I know there is no such thing as one.
I can just about guarantee you that the tomato he is holding is speckled Roman AKA Stripped Roman.

Speckled Roman.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/SPECKLE...ductinfo/5348/
Old April 24, 2015   #129
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sorry What I am saying is you didn't have a stripped Amish paste because as far as I know there is no such thing as one.
I can just about guarantee you that the tomato he is holding is speckled Roman AKA Stripped Roman.

Speckled Roman.

As your picture shows, Speckled/Striped Roman is pointed, not blunt like the tomato in question. At least that has been my experience with it, quite tasty as well.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #130
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Speckled Roman.
Yes, my "Amish paste" from Johnnys seeds looked exactly like that picture, but I've suspected it must have been mislabeled.
Old April 24, 2015   #131
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
As your picture shows, Speckled/Striped Roman is pointed, not blunt like the tomato in question. At least that has been my experience with it, quite tasty as well.
Sometimes the point doesn't show up.
If you will look the both tomatoes are the same tomato.
The one on the plant and the one in hand.

I hope they come back to solve this mystery.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; April 24, 2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old April 24, 2015   #132
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I grew Striped Roman and Cassady's Folly last year. They do look alike, but Striped Roman had much bigger fruit for me and did taste better. I'm giving Cassady's Folly another try this year just because it looks so unique. Maybe it will taste better.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #133
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Haha scroll up gents .. You'll see I replied after Joseph's fava beans comment .. But as worth said, they do have nipples (if you will) on the blossom end - just can't see it in that pic.. And some were more pronounced than others..

Last edited by Mike723; April 24, 2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old April 24, 2015   #134
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I grew Striped Roman and Cassady's Folly last year. They do look alike, but Striped Roman had much bigger fruit for me and did taste better. I'm giving Cassady's Folly another try this year just because it looks so unique. Maybe it will taste better.

Both have Banana Legs as one of the parents.
Stripped roman is Antique romanX Banana legs and Cassady's Folly is ?X banana legs.
Old April 24, 2015   #135
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
Haha scroll up gents .. You'll see I replied after Joseph's fava beans comment .. But as worth said, they do have nipples (if you will) on the blossom end - just can't see it in that pic.. And some were more pronounced than others..
Maybe it was the Texas heat but the Stripped roman was very good.
You might try it some time in the future if you haven't already.
The last time I grew it was in 2007 maybe.

Worth