Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 16, 2013   #1
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Default What to do at seasons end?

I give in, this is soul destroying, wilting, failing plants, I even have to buy tomatoes for processing. Next year it's Alaska Grow Buckets for me, in the new greenhouse. I've got to be able to grow decent tomatoes!
My big question in all this.....What does one do at seasons end? I will have buckets of used mixture to dispose of! Can I re-cycle again next year? Or do I have to dump and start fresh again?
I have searched the forum but cannot see a mention anywhere.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
I give in, this is soul destroying, wilting, failing plants, I even have to buy tomatoes for processing. Next year it's Alaska Grow Buckets for me, in the new greenhouse. I've got to be able to grow decent tomatoes!
My big question in all this.....What does one do at seasons end? I will have buckets of used mixture to dispose of! Can I re-cycle again next year? Or do I have to dump and start fresh again?
I can only reply for Earthboxes because that is what I know. They tell you to remove all of the fertilizer band, and I also take off the top 2 inches of the mix, discard those.
Then mix in new dolomite lime, put fresh fertilizer, cover all with fresh potting mix, then cover with whatever your mulch is until ready to plant again. Remember, you are using potting mix, not soil.
This is a little different than Earthboxes own instruction because they don't want it to sit dormant with the new dolomite and fertilizer, but I haven't had trouble doing it this way.
The direct answer to your question is yes, it can be recycled.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

where in Canada Beeman? and how much potting mix are we talking about?
Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #4
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
where in Canada Beeman? and how much potting mix are we talking about? Karen O
Just North of Lake Simcoe, about 90 miles North Of Toronto.
I plan on 8-10, 5 gallon pails plus a couple of smaller ones. So, it's quite an amount to deal with.
I should point out these will be SWC containers. Presumably the bottom should be dried out?

Last edited by beeman; August 16, 2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old August 16, 2013   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

OK, that's not a crazy amount. The reason I ask, is if you had a bad year you may want to try a fresh start with new mix? I re-use my potting soil year to year amending by adding compost but I have no disease/fungus problems. if I did, I would still keep the potting mix but I would compost it before re-using it.
hope you have better luck next year!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2013   #6
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

I didn't cycle the mix in my Earthboxes and I'm seeing some plant problems this year. I'm still getting a lot of tomatoes, but less than I should have. Normally, I empty my containers in a pile and add some organic material (coffee grounds, kitchen waste, etc.). But, basically it's been the same mix for 4 years. Next year I replace at least 1/2 of the mix and rearrange my Earthboxes. Last year a found a dead animal buried in my pile. I didn't recognize it and I sure didn't put it there.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2013   #7
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post

Hi Beeman,

I'm sorry to learn of your unfavorable results this year. I am curious about how you feel about Biotamax now. I was seriously looking at using it with your molassas brew idea. Do you think it made any difference?

Best to you,

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2013   #8
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Hi Beeman,
I'm sorry to learn of your unfavorable results this year. I am curious about how you feel about Biotamax now. I was seriously looking at using it with your molassas brew idea. Do you think it made any difference?
Best to you, Charley
Did it make a difference? Sure did. It prevented my Corky Root Rot. The garden certainly benefited by it. I'm now growing all the vines, melons, strawberries, rasps, pole beans, but fusarium has still killed all the tomatoes. I dipped the tomatoes at plant out and they grew well until the first hot spell, then they started to wilt and didn't stop.
I did grow one successful plant, a Big Beef in a container, no garden soil, just a container mix on my deck, got some terrific fruit from it.
So go for it, brewed Biotamax is better than ACT, no chance of pathogens.