Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 14, 2007   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Bush beans in containers

Just curious how small containers can be to grow bush beans in. I realize some varieties will be bigger than others so that could factor into it. Growing indoors I need to conserve space. I'm about to transplant a Calypso seedling, and will be growing out a few others over the course of the next year. Others purchased along with Calypso were Boston Favorite, Charlevoix Dark Red Kidney, & Tiger's Eye. I'll be trying those and some I received in trade.

Thanks, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2007   #2
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,
I've done it successfully in the past in 26 gal containers, a 32 gal plastic garbage can or 40 gal tote basket would be better.. You need a very well drained, rich soil with lots of compost. Be sure to innoculate your seed with bean/pea inoculant before planting. Hope this helps.
Bill Malin
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2007   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice Bill. Fortunately, one of my varieties only grows to 2' and another to 15" according to the descriptions. The biggest bucket I have for growing in is 5-gallon. I'll give that a try. I don't expect to get alot of production, but I could get lucky with it, who knows. I'll turn those 300-watt bulbs on them and find out.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote