Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 5, 2016   #91
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongPlant View Post
Has anyone made crosses with tomatoes that have this trait where the other parent has normal inflorescence? If so,did you notice anything interesting/different in the inflorescence of the F1's?
Check out this link for multiflora X not multiflora,if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...light=charline

Carolyn
Old October 11, 2016   #92
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
The one in the photo is 100 en pom (aka 100 en rama), probably 100 en pom de la Ribera. It's a "de colgar" tomato. I know one or two more similar de colgar ones. In fact, it's a wonderful trait for those tomatoes.
Ilex, could you please describe the differences between these names and multiflora varieties? I think you ruled out de la Ribera for some reason? (referring to the pic of the man holding the trusses.) Could you post a list of the de colgar tomatoes you're hinting about all in 1 post? Thanks.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #93
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollas View Post
Black, yellow and red centiflor

"Früher Prinz Borghese"

(as you can see on the pictures, tomatoes does not ripen at the same time on a cluster)
Merci nicollas!

Have you grown the Orange Centiflor? It is a SunGold cross.
Old October 12, 2016   #94
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Ilex, could you please describe the differences between these names and multiflora varieties? I think you ruled out de la Ribera for some reason? (referring to the pic of the man holding the trusses.) Could you post a list of the de colgar tomatoes you're hinting about all in 1 post? Thanks.
Mark, I was confused about Ribera as well,so I e-mailed him and he sent back a long answer.

Summary?

Neither of the ones that the old man was holding,two different varieties,are Ribera. Ilex knows the old man.

What helped a lot was that one of my seed producer got back to me and described the Ribera grown this summer as

(I would love to know what Ilex has changed about his description of Ribera. My plants produced clusters of golf ball size red globes with two seed cavities, green shoulders, and a small pointed nipple at the blossom end. I can't list them as beefsteaks.)

His response was that it looks like Ribera,which is a multiflora.

The only persons affected by all this re Ribera are 3 of my seed producers who grew it this past summer.I had two plants out but no fruits since it was a lousy year here and I almost posted in the Wanted subforum,that I'd
appreciate someone sending me some tomatoes.

What I'm going to do is to put all three of my seed producers on the same group e-mail and send them an abbreviated version of what Ilex sent me.

They are the only ones who need to know about it right now since they are the only ones I sent seeds, 2/3 are SSE listed members,however,Ilex also listed Ribera in the 2016 SSE Yearbook, the deadline for that is coming up soon,so if he can update,that would be good.

I also sent him the link you put up that was in Spanish and here's what he said about that.

(Regarding link:

somebody asks about a mystery tomato with 100 tomatoes per bunch, another says it might be "araña" (de colgar tomatoes are sometimes called "araña" (spider) because in storage they usually get a LOT of spider mites) and the famous photo appears.)

So not much help, unfortunately.

Carolyn
Old October 12, 2016   #95
korney19

The golf ball sized red fruits with nipples I'm guessing may be Tarasenko Hybrid, or are they called Hybrid Tarasenko 2? I am growing it now but didn't take pics yet, plus I have the yellow ones like that, Anna Herman/German, also grown this year. I also sell one called SuperMultiFloraLicious that I already posted a pic, maybe in this thread, but sans nipple; the plate is 9 inches. I was thinking of crossing it with the bigger of the two the old man is carrying...those are the only 2 multifloras I've seen that may be larger than mine (SMFL.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SuperMultiFloraLicious.jpg (90.4 KB, 224 views)
Old October 12, 2016   #96
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The golf ball sized red fruits with nipples I'm guessing may be Tarasenko Hybrid, or are they called Hybrid Tarasenko 2? I am growing it now but didn't take pics yet, plus I have the yellow ones like that, Anna Herman/German, also grown this year. I also sell one called SuperMultiFloraLicious that I already posted a pic, maybe in this thread, but sans nipple; the plate is 9 inches. I was thinking of crossing it with the bigger of the two the old man is carrying...those are the only 2 multifloras I've seen that may be larger than mine (SMFL.)
Mark, the person who gave the description of small reds,golf ball size is someone I've known since the first week that Tville opened in Jan of 2006 and I know her very well,and know what she grows,also an SSE listed member,and she has never grown Tarasenko anything of which there are several versions,as you know and yes,I also know that while they have hybrid as a part of the name,they are OP,something that Tania explained here at Tville.

As for Anna Herman/ German,I have grown that one and here are some pictures,not from me

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ht=Anna+Herman

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Anna_Hermann

Carolyn
Old October 13, 2016   #97
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mark, the person who gave the description of small reds,golf ball size is someone I've known since the first week that Tville opened in Jan of 2006 and I know her very well,and know what she grows,also an SSE listed member,and she has never grown Tarasenko anything of which there are several versions,as you know and yes,I also know that while they have hybrid as a part of the name,they are OP,something that Tania explained here at Tville.

As for Anna Herman/ German,I have grown that one and here are some pictures,not from me

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ht=Anna+Herman

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Anna_Hermann

Carolyn
My Anna Hermann look like the ones pictured at Tatiana's I think. Did you notice a big difference between the pics at both links? I still have an organza bag full of them outside I have to process, I only had a partial cluster bagged that are fermenting now.

Back to the 100 en pom (aka 100 en rama), are these the correct names for the ones the old man is carrying? Living in Buffalo all my life, 5 minutes from Canada, meant 7th grade French class, not Spanish class, and even that is mostly forgotten now.
Old October 13, 2016   #98
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My Anna Hermann look like the ones pictured at Tatiana's I think. Did you notice a big difference between the pics at both links? I still have an organza bag full of them outside I have to process, I only had a partial cluster bagged that are fermenting now.

Back to the 100 en pom (aka 100 en rama), are these the correct names for the ones the old man is carrying? Living in Buffalo all my life, 5 minutes from Canada, meant 7th grade French class, not Spanish class, and even that is mostly forgotten now.
Just answering you about Ribera now, as I did in a post above,the Annas will have to wait.

In order to answer your question about the two varieties the old man is growing I'll have to go back to my em from Ilex.I also know that I don't have seeds for one, but hopefully will in the future.

What I also said is that right now the only persons who n need to know the details are the ones that grew out Ribera this past summer and I have yet to put them on a group e-mail with an abbreviated version of his answer,but will.Two of them are SSE listed members and need to know before they send in their updates, as I also said above.

Now that mytax stuff has been filed I'm trying to catch up, which has been difficult.

Carolyn
Old October 14, 2016   #99
korney19

How did anybody get the idea that Ribera was a beefsteak? And what's the secrecy surrounding the large butt-cheeked one the old man is carrying? Is someone trying to get first dibs on it or exclusivity?
Old October 14, 2016   #100
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How did anybody get the idea that Ribera was a beefsteak? And what's the secrecy surrounding the large butt-cheeked one the old man is carrying? Is someone trying to get first dibs on it or exclusivity?
Mark,you are getting on my second to last nerve as you did back when you were driving Chuck Wyatt crazy with question after question,never letting up.He couldn't handle it and what did he do Without telling me....he told you to contact me with your questions, and that didn't last very long as you might remember.

As you posted above,this is NOT the question of the Year, I did go back and see what Ilex wrote to me.

Again, it was called a beefsteak, as you asked above, simply b/c one could see that by just looking at the picture.

But neither of the ones the old man was growing were actually Ribera as it turns out.What helped a lot was one of my seed producers getting back to me and describing that the fruits she got were in clusters,the size of red golfballs,only two locules and a small nipple. No beefsteak shaped at all.

The one on the left is probably 100 en ramo/pom, Ilex doesn't know what the one on the right is,but is in contact with the old man and hopefully will find out.

No,I do not have seeds for en ramo, but hope to have them eventually.What seeds I have are for the golfball 2 locule one.

you wrote

(And what's the secrecy surrounding the large butt-cheeked one the old man is carrying? Is someone trying to get first dibs on it or exclusivity?)

This upsets me greatly. Ilex lists now close to 100 varieties in the SSE Yearbooks,no secrecy at all. No first dibs,no nada. Other SSE members,listed or not, have also been requesting seeds from him as well.

For me this all started when in a long thread where Vladimir and Ilex and others were showing pictures,etc,I posted that I just found in my SSE Yearbook that someone from Spain was selling seeds of Spanish varieties.

Ilex then posted and said,that's me,and honestly I couldn't stop laughing as in .

Carolyn
Old October 14, 2016   #101
korney19

Carolyn, sorry if I get on your nerves, it's just that that pic of the old gentleman carrying the clusters was posted AUGUST 13th 2015 and we still may not have a positive ID! That's FOURTEEN months! It's MY question of the year! So follow this journey:

That same day, Ilex said:

Quote:
The one in the photo is 100 en pom (aka 100 en rama), probably 100 en pom de la Ribera. It's a "de colgar" tomato. I know one or two more similar de colgar ones. In fact, it's a wonderful trait for those tomatoes.
He also posted a photo of "another 'de colgar' tomato" that same day here, from the looks of it, about golf ball size with a nipple:
http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?...7&postcount=56

Then on the 16th of AUGUST 2015, Ilex made this post, no photos were posted...
Quote:
Two more ... 100 en ramo de llagrima and bombeta. First is a colgar type, second is a long shelf life but not a true de colgar (weeks vs months).
...and you asked him...
Quote:
Ilex, is there any way you can show actual pictures as youhave with others b'c I can only see actual pictures, not by any kind of attachments, etc. No doubt a software problem with my browser, but it's been this way for a long time, sadly, and no fix in sight.

Carolyn
Then the next day, Ilex posted pics of Bombeta...

...and " 'Les refardes' collected this 'Mallorquin' at Solsona. From the name it should come from Mallorca...", the pic of the tomatoes hanging from the rafters:

A year later, on August 29, 2016, when Ilex commented on when to pull the plants based on storage or fresh use, you wrote:

Quote:
I go back to the picture of the elderly man holding the whole plant of Ribera which was not inground but had been pulled.

So if I'm wrong,I'm wrong,and it wouldn't be the first time.

I also remember some wonderful pictures posted somewhere here of de colgar types,hanging from rafters to ripen and those were whole plants.

Where did I go wrong,I know you'll tell me.

Carolyn
Earlier that day Geraldo wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post

The trusses are big on La Ribera, as with most multifloras the fruit set is pretty dismal, and it may been related to bug attacks and harsh weather.

De Colgar 100 averaged about 8-10 per truss.
Papuo 3-9 per truss range, a lot of 3s
La Ribera had lots of flowers and not so great fruit set, with the above qualifiers.

I've harvested fruits and am waiting for them to ripen, so it may be a long wait. They had reached color on the vine for the most part. There's a few I've tried for fresh eating and I'm pretty sure that's not the way to eat them.

The correct way is to wait 3 mos and then smear them on bread.

I've got seedlings for the above three destined for a 2nd fall run, this time with a lot more water restriction.

I should have plenty of seeds for papuo and 100, not so many for La Ribera. In a few months, yes, plenty. I hope.
...to which Ilex replied:

Quote:
both papuo and 100 en pom de la Ribera are very good for fresh eating. Very good intense flavour and very good texture with a lot of aroma. I have papuo in the amazing category. Let some ripen on the vine.

Taste in de colgar tomatoes is usually quite different from normal tomatoes.
OK, what's papuo??? To your last post quoted above, Ilex replied:

Quote:
He's not holding a plant, just a trush at each hand. Those leaves are part of the fruit flush. There are two varieties one at each hand. They are usually picked at the stage of the one at his left hand, or slightly more ripe.

Now that I've grown quite a few 100 en pom de la Ribera and look at the picture, I'm afraid to say it's not that one At least I'm getting something else from that variety (and I got the seeds from the man in the picture). I'm getting nipples and no ribs.
I'm not sure if I missed any posts, rounding up these involved multiple thankless hours across multiple threads and I am still confused what the man is carrying. I'm still not seeing anything similar to a beefsteak!

I am interested in growing multifloras, I must be near 10-12 different ones and am reducing growing my standard inflorescence cherry & medium sized varieties in favor of MF's. So I'd love to grow those, they look to be similar in size or slightly larger than my SMFL MF's.
Old October 15, 2016   #102
ilex
Tomatovillian™

The MF in the famous picture is "100 en ramo". I did not share seed of that one.

I shared seeds of "100 en pom de la Ribera".

I believed 100 en pom de la Ribera was the one in the picture, but I was wrong.

MF here are called 100 en pom, 100 en rama, 100 en ramo. We use two languages here so pom, rama, ramo really are the same word. The man in the picture lives in La Ribera. All that together helped me making my mistake.

Papuo, is a non MF de colgar variety.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2016   #103
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am interested in growing multifloras, I must be near 10-12 different ones and am reducing growing my standard inflorescence cherry & medium sized varieties in favor of MF's. So I'd love to grow those, they look to be similar in size or slightly larger than my SMFL MF's.
If you have any interest in trying to develop a larger fruited multiflora, I have some F2 seed I'd be happy to send you to grow out. I have lots of F2 seed of a few crosses of a micro multiflora with some large great-tasting beefsteaks. As you know, I am looking to develop new dwarf and micro multifloras.

I am assume there are some larger fruited multlfloras lurking somewhere among those F2 seeds. I start huge numbers of F2s then eliminate all the taller ones. I did grow out several indeterminates this summer hoping to finds a nice larger one. I did get one that produced 3" - 4-5 oz beefsteaks that I will grow out as F3s next summer. Problem is I don't know if the production was there. Deer kept everything eaten off to the point that only a few on the very interior of the plant matured. There were lots of blossoms and early fruit set, but it was on the row closest to where deer enter the garden and nearly everything that set got eaten.

I'd be happy to send you some to grow out next summer if you would like. I have MF crosses with Brandywine Cowlick's X Margaret Curtain, Pink Pioneet X Margaret Curtain, Blue Beauty, a few other indeterminates and several larger fruited dwarfs.

Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by dfollett; October 15, 2016 at 07:42 PM.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2016   #104
korney19

PM sent!
Old January 10, 2017   #105
Templeton
Tomatovillian™

bumping this thread coz it looks like the right place to post:
This SH summer I went back to my tomato project seeds and sowed some F4 Snowy Dwarf X Jaune Flammee seeds i had lying around since 2014. Neither parent as far as i can remember had floriferous inflorescences, but of the 10 or so plants in the growout, most had many-flowered inflorescences.
This one had over 100 flowers. They are just starting to colour up, so it will be interesting to see how they taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03313.jpg (517.5 KB, 154 views)
Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote