Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 17, 2015   #16
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

The only grower in Phoenix that goes to all the farmers markets sells her plants for $3.50 each or 4 for $10. I know she offers a wholesale price to farms, schools, and churches but that's it. Bonnie at the local box stores just lowered their prices prob due to our heat coming so early to 5 plants for $10. But neither has variety, which is a reason I want to join the market.... This thread is very interesting and thanks for posting!
Old April 18, 2015   #17
bigmeanmamma
Tomatovillian™

I sell 8-10 week old tomato and pepper seedlings in 3inch "deep" pots for $3 each or 10 for $25.

Several of the vendors at our market charge about the same rate. Some of the older guys say they just can't charge that much. So their tomatoes are $1.75. Pretty ridiculous for all that work. We have urged them to charge more but they just won't. But, with that said it is rare for anyone to try to haggle with me. A similar plant at wal-mart is going to be $3.50. Maybe I need to raise my prices. LOL

On fruit, strawberries go for $4 a quart. Organic or not. Apples are $6 for a little bag, I think a peck. You get about 6 apples for that price. Raspberries and blackberries go for $4 a pint and sell out fast. Peaches sell for about $1 each. They get put into boxes or bags with a higher price but that about what you're paying.
bigmeanmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #18
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I want to Thank you for all the suggestions. I put some of them that I had time for into place this weekend. Not the best with our 10th day of rain in a row, but it really did help with sales and while not making a fortune, which I am not out to do, I did actually for the first time in years gain a few cents.

Folks really went for the buy 3 and save. I had one plant at $ or three for $ mix or match and you saved a dollar. Almost everybody went for the three and sometimes even picked up a 4th plant at regular price.

I didn't have time to get more than index cards made with descriptions and info on each variety which I attached to 4" wide board the length of the table in front of each variety. It was fun watching folks go up and down the boards reading about the plants.

Sure helped to keep some folks busy while I bagged up other customers.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Thanks for sharing your methods it really helped not only sales, but made for less stressful situations for me and customers and trying to juggle them all. Appreciate you and your time. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote