Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 26, 2013   #61
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
What is it bleach spray- chemical ?
Vladimír
Just a weak solution of bleach and water. Just regular bleach, which you use to whiten laundry.

Kathy
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #62
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
What is it bleach spray- chemical ?
Vladimír
Yes, sodium hypochlorite mixed with water to make a spray. Commonly used chemical for lightening dark things and cleaning WCs. Can be bought in most supermarkets.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #63
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. It is buying as SAVO by us.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #64
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Bill, do you know what the mechanism is by which the bleach only seems to affect portions of the plant that are already diseased? I am curious how it is that the bleach only attacks the bad parts at this concentration.

It's irrelevant to my using it, ultimately, because I'm only really interested in results, but it has piqued my curiosity!

Kathy
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #65
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
That is the very reason I urge the use of the bleach spray at the first sign of disease instead of waiting until the plants are wrapped up with disease. The earlier you use it the fewer leaves you will lose. As long as it is mixed correctly and applied correctly the healthy plant tissue seems unaffected by repeated use; but the sick parts will wither up and die.

Bill
Torrential rains and high humidity have launched a bit of blight here in NH...there were two or three good-sized plants (2 feet tall) where I removed all stems that had so much as a leaf with a spot of blight (there weren't that many), but there are brown spots on the stem itself. Do I spray the bleach solution on the WHOLE plant, or just the area at the base of the stem where the blight is visible? Will your solution affect healthy leaves? In addition, I have a smallish Tarasenko 6 plant with a spot on the stem...it is in an Earth Box, roughly ten inches tall, with decent foliage...very healthy. In your opinion, would you spray a plant at this stage of growth with your solution? Many thanks for your help!
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #66
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Update to my Anthracnose on Chayote squash plant. I sprayed 2 times and after the leaves shriveled up I cut off the stems that were affected and now I have a beautiful plant growing. It's never looked better! Thanks Bill! I'll definently continue to use the bleach spray as needed
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #67
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgardengal View Post
Update to my Anthracnose on Chayote squash plant. I sprayed 2 times and after the leaves shriveled up I cut off the stems that were affected and now I have a beautiful plant growing. It's never looked better! Thanks Bill! I'll definently continue to use the bleach spray as needed

I am glad it worked so well for you. Next year be sure to spray sooner and not go through the agony of losing all the sick leaves. My squash have gotten sprayed with bleach about 10 times since I planted them and they are still producing. The rain we have been having is making it difficult to keep the Sevin dust on the stems so the vine borers are probably already in them by now; but I'm a bit tired of them now anyway. They are also so huge that I have a hard time getting past them. Despite all the rain and high humidity I haven't had any big mildew problems this year. This is only the second year that I sprayed them every week or so and both years the squash have done so much better than in the past. I think the more frequent spraying has stopped any of the diseases from getting a good start on the plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #68
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am glad it worked so well for you. Next year be sure to spray sooner and not go through the agony of losing all the sick leaves. My squash have gotten sprayed with bleach about 10 times since I planted them and they are still producing. The rain we have been having is making it difficult to keep the Sevin dust on the stems so the vine borers are probably already in them by now; but I'm a bit tired of them now anyway. They are also so huge that I have a hard time getting past them. Despite all the rain and high humidity I haven't had any big mildew problems this year. This is only the second year that I sprayed them every week or so and both years the squash have done so much better than in the past. I think the more frequent spraying has stopped any of the diseases from getting a good start on the plants.

Bill
Hi, Bill...could you help me with the questions at post #65? Thanks!
Old July 4, 2013   #69
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpeppers View Post
Torrential rains and high humidity have launched a bit of blight here in NH...there were two or three good-sized plants (2 feet tall) where I removed all stems that had so much as a leaf with a spot of blight (there weren't that many), but there are brown spots on the stem itself. Do I spray the bleach solution on the WHOLE plant, or just the area at the base of the stem where the blight is visible? Will your solution affect healthy leaves? In addition, I have a smallish Tarasenko 6 plant with a spot on the stem...it is in an Earth Box, roughly ten inches tall, with decent foliage...very healthy. In your opinion, would you spray a plant at this stage of growth with your solution? Many thanks for your help!
I start spraying plants with the dilute bleach spray when I first see diseases popping up on them and then try to apply a fungicide later in the day or the next day as a preventative. I don't know what is causing the stem lesions you are describing and don't know if the bleach will help or not. It could be something systemic and if that is the case it won't do much good. If it is some kind of disease or mold issue the spray could be some help. Usually when I have stem lesions it is caused by advanced Gray Mold or Late Blight; but I'm sure there are other causes.

Bill
Old July 4, 2013   #70
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Appreciate your advice...thank you!
Old July 8, 2013   #71
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I went against my own advice knowing better yesterday. I was so frustrated by not being able to spray because of the rain that I went out and sprayed the bleach solution on everything yesterday morning despite the sun shining nicely. Of course it rained later in the day but I got some nice leaf burn especially on my younger plants due to the spraying in the sunshine. I'm sure they will recover but not only did it wither up the sick leaves it also left some leaf burn on some of the healthy new growth.

I will repeat again don't spray when the sun is shining.

Bill
Old July 8, 2013   #72
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I went against my own advice knowing better yesterday. I was so frustrated by not being able to spray because of the rain that I went out and sprayed the bleach solution on everything yesterday morning despite the sun shining nicely. Of course it rained later in the day but I got some nice leaf burn especially on my younger plants due to the spraying in the sunshine. I'm sure they will recover but not only did it wither up the sick leaves it also left some leaf burn on some of the healthy new growth.

I will repeat again don't spray when the sun is shining.

Bill
Bill, we all know this who are seasoned growers, but it's easy to get caught up in the moment when you see that disease may get all your hard work destroyed. Don't beat yourself up too much. I bet 90% of us have done the same thing at some point, even when we knew about it.
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #73
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Bill, we all know this who are seasoned growers, but it's easy to get caught up in the moment when you see that disease may get all your hard work destroyed. Don't beat yourself up too much. I bet 90% of us have done the same thing at some point, even when we knew about it.
Marsha
Yep I did it once or twice knowing full well of the consequences. I don't think I'd have the patience to grow where Bill does. It sounds like a never ending battle. So yeah don't beat yourself up Bill.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #74
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i think i sprayed my actinovate, exel lg and molasses a little too late in the morning the other day. the newest growth is showing some minor yellowing with black around the edges.

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #75
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I wasn't beating myself up over my mistake. I knew the chance I was taking and decided that with the extent of disease that it was worth the risk. I worked some this morning and this evening cutting out dying leaves and diseased leaves. I only got about half way through because there are just so many diseased leaves. Hopefully I can clear out the rest tomorrow and then spray with a fungicide and see if my plants can begin to recover. They all need a big shot of fertilizer after more than 10 inches of rain this week but I'm going to wait a bit on that since the ground is so wet.

Bill

Tags
bleach spray