Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 1, 2007   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default This year's CRUD observations

With everything now transplanted (and, in fact, part way through the actual planting in the big pots and grow bags), here is my 2007 CRUD report.

Severe affliction - Dr. Wyche's Yellow, Granny Cantrell, Kellogg's Breakfast, Yoder's German Yellow, Liz Birt (all 5 of these were so severely stricken that I wondered if they would survive. However, getting them into the sun and quickly transplanting them did the trick, and the seedlings of each look great).

Minor affliction - Anna Russian, Anna Banana Russian, German Johnson, Mortgage Lifter, Orange Heirloom, Rose Quartz, some of the offspring from Dopey (which included Orange Russian 117 as a parent).

Of those severely afflicted, this is an annual event with Dr. W and Kellogg, and for both my efforts with the other 3. Of those just very slightly affected, again, I've seen this in the past (Mullens Mortgage Lifter is not nearly as susceptible as Halladay's).

None of the affected plants spread the problem to neighboring plants/cells. All recovered when moved to direct sun/transplanted.

Quite a curious thing, this Crud!
Old May 1, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Craig-You have foliage disease even before transplantation? I feel for you and your plants! Surprising that you get fruit at all.
Old May 1, 2007   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Not foliage disease - it is a genetic trait for certain varieties to show leaf edge necrosis. Even when I started them in Pennsylvania, certain varieties show it every year. It shows itself as foliage problems, but I don't believe it to be a disease - but something physiological, brought about by a particular genetic trait of the variety afflicted.
Old May 1, 2007   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Craig-thanks for the info-did not know that.
Old May 1, 2007   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Although I did not get a positive scientific diagnosis, I'm pretty sure I saw CRUD on my heart-shaped tomato transplants before I brought them outside. They looked pitiful and had brown and crispy edges to the leaves without ever having been outside the house while other transplants next to them looked great.

These symptoms went away and the plants are 4 feet tall now. Close to zilch on fruitset, but if it had been the precursor of a foliage disease, the plant would never have made it.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007   #6
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Don't know why, but have had zero crud this year on my heart varieties...Last year I had 6 or 7 types get medium bad crud before plant out...The first year I grew Ukranian Heart, I pulled the seedlings as I thought they were too close to the windows and getting burnt edges...then I just decided they must be sickly, so gave them the yank...I only planted 4 hearts this year, but they are all green tipped as they should be....Yasha Yugoslavian is the most incredible thick stemmed seedling...Hard to believe it is a heart...

Jeanne

I have never noticed it spread in my seed flats, where there is a lot of congestion at times.
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Must be my dry climate, but I have never had this on any plant before I put it outside in the final container. Or maybe I havent grown those varieties that are susceptible to it.