Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old December 23, 2013   #1
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Default Just another Pipe Dream

This morning, I tried to stick an eleven by twenty-two flat into my dishwasher ... 'till then, I didn't realize how seriously flawed the dishwasher really was.

Of course, this started my brain smoking, and I started to wonder if anyone has ever thought of modifying one to except 4 flats, or maybe 2 flats and a five gallon bucket?...two five gallon buckets?...A canning pot? Sure be nice to have something like that in an outbuilding alongside of an old stove and sink.

I was thinking...the tub could be cut and extended ... fibreglass is doable, and with enough parts (old dishwashers) there's the possibility of multiple telescopic spray arms for buckets and such.

I won't be doing this anytime soon, (if at all) but I thought I'd just dump these thoughts from my head into this thread, for all to see, before they take me away.
Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2013   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Before I went to that much work I'd see if I could find a cheap commercial dishwasher.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2013   #3
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I guess you're right, Doug...just a pipe dream...sometimes I see a little too much potential in old junk.
Old December 26, 2013   #4
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
Before I went to that much work I'd see if I could find a cheap commercial dishwasher.
Exactly. All of the listed items and more could be washed.
Old December 26, 2013   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I just got a 32 gal tote to soak my flats in a chlorox solution. I can easily put a dozen in the tote and just let them soak. Then I'll hose them off.

I will also use the tote to soak my 4" plastic pots.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

4" pots from Greenhouse Megastore, 1260 per case for $80 plus shipping, so call it $95 total. That's about 7.5 cents apiece. That was why I quit washing my 4" pots. It is much more environmentally responsible to wash them though, so there is merit to the wash idea.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ots/round-pots

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Charlie.
The term "Pipe Dream" comes from the opium pipe.
From your post I would almost think you were smoking opium.

The very idea of putting flats in the dishwasher is beyond my comprehension.
Then to move on and speak of modifying stuff to make one of your own.

Now back to my semi auto quad 30-06.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
4" pots from Greenhouse Megastore, 1260 per case for $80 plus shipping, so call it $95 total. That's about 7.5 cents apiece. That was why I quit washing my 4" pots. It is much more environmentally responsible to wash them though, so there is merit to the wash idea.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ots/round-pots

Marsha

If you want the best of both worlds, these are just as cheap and sturdy enough to wash and re-use -

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p.../seed-starting

I bought a case of the 2.5x2.5x3 size last year and they are perfect for seed starting. The are square, but not as wide so they take up less space in a tray, but they are deep enough that seedlings are happy in them a lot longer than they were in shallower pots.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2013   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes, those look good. I prefer the square ones too. They are a much better fit in my 16 X 24 boxes. I had to go with the cheapest possible for my garden club project this year, which was an heirloom tomato plant sale, almost 1000 plants at $3 each. 100% of the proceeds went to charities in our community, so I went with the round molded ones, but for personal Use I would rather use the square ones, better quality.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #10
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I just got a 32 gal tote to soak my flats in a chlorox solution. I can easily put a dozen in the tote and just let them soak. Then I'll hose them off.

I will also use the tote to soak my 4" plastic pots.
I have a tote large enough to soak them in, but I've turned off and drained the hoses outside for the winter...

I've been washing the trays over the double stainless sink in my kitchen, but that gets to be a chore, as the tray won't fit in either side of the sink, but needs to bridge both. Even with the spray hose, it gets messy, as in "wet floor" messy.

These are the green fibreglass trays sold by Harris seed co. (not an endorsement) see below. I use them to hold my 4" pots (aka: cut down 2 litre soda bottles) and sometimes, to start seeds in. I've gone over to heat mats now, so I can use the plain trays. I found that these trays are a little larger than the standard 11" x 22"s. They are actually 11.875" x 22.875".

Most of my problems arise from the fact that I wash and sanitize all my seed starting and transplant "goodies" as soon as I'm finished with them; usually around mid spring, but I don't use them 'till the winter, and then they're dusty. Then when I look at them, I wonder which particles are dust and since I live on a flood plain, which are spores. Time to put the mop next to the sink again.
I don't have any problems cleaning the pots as I can fit a boatload of those cut down bottles in the dishwasher.....and forgetaboutit when I load it with the little yogurt containers!

Maybe, come spring, I'll try bagging the trays up, instead of just stacking them on the shelf after I sanitize them. I'll think of something. I know I need to be careful, because I've already caught myself thinking about the washing machine.
Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2000.jpg (262.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2002.jpg (213.4 KB, 54 views)