Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 11, 2013   #1
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Not entirely sure if my early girl is having problems

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct subforum or not. If not apologies.

I'm pretty new to gardening as a whole let alone veggie growing. And I'm not from the USA originally so I'm not very clued up on the specifics of growing in this climate either. . My entire veggie growing experience consists of rummaging through my parents veggie patch in the UK as a kid collecting catipillers and snails for next doors chickens and praying they "didn't grow more broad beans this year" .

This is the first year since living here that we have had a garden and much outside space to do anything.....well technically we've lived here 19 months but they were filed with getting used to parenthood...so this is the first chance we have had to stop and think about "what we could and would like to do". And I decided I wanted to grow veggies. I chose two types of zucchini (ones a grey something and other a black beauty) and two types of tommy plants (one early girl and two Heinz hybrids).
I opened to plant them all in two city pickers self watering containers because I won't go near the flower beds (spiders) and the one spot we would have put them in I estimate it would have been a couple months max before next doors kids start jumping our fence again and would squash them like they did the lavender that was/is there.

We put the two zucchini in one planter and the three Tommy's in the other in a triangular pattern with a triangular shaped cage.

The two zucchini are looking quite well (bar one suspicious white bit on one leaf) after well almost a week being planted (all our plants we bout two weeks ago though) and I will say all our plants have doubled in size since bought. But the early girl tommy..... I'm not sure if she is looking right? I can't really tell. The Heinz look lovely but she looks scraggly. But I'm not sure i know what I am doing so I could be seeing problems that don't exist?

I have taken pictures of the planters and a close up of the early girls leaves but I can't figure out how to upload them to my post?
SmittenGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013   #2
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/album.php?albumid=171. This is an album of photos on my profile of my plants. I hope this works. I still can't figure out how to share my pictures on my posts.

The early girl is looking worse today. I think she might be wilting and her leaves are starting to look yellow with brown bits on some. Though not all leaves look like they are dying. Could it be too much sun? Or not enough water?
Old May 12, 2013   #3
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you should post a question in the diseases and pests section. Hope you get some answers.
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013   #4
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
Maybe you should post a question in the diseases and pests section. Hope you get some answers.
Thanks I did just as you suggested. It actually got worse over night.