Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 17, 2023   #31
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

After posting, I poured in some fish emulsion spiked agrothrive, and over the weekend the plants looked better but could just be placebo. We went ahead and spread some garden tone fertilizer this weekend and will continue to monitor.

Bill: you suggested fusarium wilt a couple years ago when I first started this thread, I did not forget that We're not getting a lot of the other symptoms, though, so maybe the best way to confirm would be to send plant samples out for evaluation. The other interesting thing, pretty much all the tomatoes we tried growing in containers/buckets last year with fresh, new diy mix had similar issues.
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2023   #32
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradajky View Post
After posting, I poured in some fish emulsion spiked agrothrive, and over the weekend the plants looked better but could just be placebo. We went ahead and spread some garden tone fertilizer this weekend and will continue to monitor.

Bill: you suggested fusarium wilt a couple years ago when I first started this thread, I did not forget that We're not getting a lot of the other symptoms, though, so maybe the best way to confirm would be to send plant samples out for evaluation. The other interesting thing, pretty much all the tomatoes we tried growing in containers/buckets last year with fresh, new diy mix had similar issues.
That is good news for you because I have had to deal with fusarium wilt since I started this garden nearly 50 years ago. The stuff just doesn't go away but building the soil up seems to help some. If you are having some kind of fertilizer issue I would suggest you try Texas Tomato Food and see if there is any improvement. It seems to have everything that tomatoes need and if used regularly it will tend to keep them healthy and productive. If you have tree roots invading there isn't much you can do but dig them out and that is only good for about a year if that. I would love it if the big beautiful pecan 20 feet from the bottom of my garden in my neighbors yard would just die. The squirrels get all of the pecans and I get all the tree roots.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2023   #33
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Bill: yeah, I've read about your struggles here, and that you keep at it and don't give up has helped me try to keep fat this hobby and not give up. Your posts on bleach and DE starter medium have been good resources for me, thanks for your contributions

I'll discuss TTF with the family, it might actually be a worth a shot, we can double it up in the other gardens, too (mine's a little complex: I have a rain-gutter bucket system at my house, then I have been helping family with their multiple garden beds, they live under 10 minutes away so I go there every other day to check on things, water, etc; one of their beds is what's the topic of this post). I tried TTF a couple years ago in my own garden but results were inconclusive because I had so many other problems.
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote