Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 2, 2023   #31
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Over 8-weeks since transplant many of the plants are loaded with tomatoes, no abnormal growth! Very excited, the first tomatoes have begun blushing, too. Sadly, I've also spotted powdery mildew on a few vines, despite spraying weekly.

Interesting trend I'm seeing with the dwarf varieties, the lower leaves get sort of burnt/crunchy/withering looking. If I don't cut/break them off, eventually all the leaves on a stalk will wither up and the stalk just falls off on its own. Is this some sort of disease possibly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example leave withering.jpg (202.5 KB, 46 views)
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2023   #32
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

2023 end of season, hit by PM hard, couldn't keep up. I'm thinking about throwing in the towel on tomatoes for next year. I can get into details if anyone is interested, most of these don't taste good and are pretty mealy. No BER issues at all. Finding the 1.5kg un-flushed Taiga bunch broken off the vine was heart breaking. Pictures exclude some maglia rosa and a dozen or so tomatoes I consumed over the last 3 weeks. There are maybe a dozen remaining fire marzano and saucy mary tomatoes that are due to flush any day now, I'll wait to take out the plants until then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harvest 2023-08-30.jpg (221.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg piennolo bunch.jpg (145.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg broken taiga.jpg (103.7 KB, 31 views)
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2023   #33
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hang in there, with all of your Beautiful Tomatoes. Just try something new next year.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote