Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2017   #196
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

don't forget the radar page at weatherunderground.
I use that to time my shopping sprees.
If you see a blob of green coming you can stay put.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #197
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
don't forget the radar page at weatherunderground.
I use that to time my shopping sprees.
If you see a blob of green coming you can stay put.
Guess I'll try weather underground. iPad Siri is pretty accurate even on 10 forecast. One problem. If we get Santana winds they're off by 10 degrees! . If they say 92 it will be 102.. Even if it lasts 3 days they never catch-up.. . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #198
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

radar example

https://www.wunderground.com/weather...ristol%2c%20CT
Old March 15, 2017   #199
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
Thanks slugworth. Loaded it. Looks cool! . Jimbo
Old March 15, 2017   #200
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

My old neighborhood,home of ESPN.
Old March 15, 2017   #201
ilex
Tomatovillian™

I will be nice and won't comment.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #202
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Glad I waited. Weird to be only 3 or 4 degrees warmer down here in LA than in many places in New England in the middle of March. It hit 27 a little while ago and is now starting to warm up a bit; but that would have definitely ruined some small seedlings in the garden. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be the last morning below 40 degrees on the WU site at least as far out as they are predicting. I sure hope my tulip poplar is opening in the next few days so I can finally get some tomatoes in the ground. The most popular plant out time here is usually the first week of March and I timed my seedlings for that and some of them are getting a bit tall now.

I covered my lettuce yesterday afternoon and now I'm glad I did. It didn't get cold enough to kill it but it would have had a lot of damaged leaves with the cold north wind least night and since it will probably warm up really fast now it wouldn't have had much time to recover before it was too hot for lettuce down here. I hope everyone fared okay during this spring cold snap.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #203
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We have similar and worse case here.
Last night's low was 21F. Except my tomatoes, nothing was covered, lettuce, peas, carrots, spinach, radishes, broccoli ...I checked a short while ago . They are all ok.
This coming night we will had another freeze with lows going down to 26. Then we should be out of freezing zone.
No tulip poplar here but oaks are leafing.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #204
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

No peaches for Southern Illinois this summer, or pears, or plums. The freeze may have taken out a lot of strawberries, too. Growers have them under row covers, but two nights in the teens is still going to kill a lot of plants. I don't think the cherries or blackberries have bloomed yet.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #205
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Thought rain was over but looks like rain Tuesday through Saturday. Last few years have been no rain from now til next year. We've been going 7 months or more without rain! Looks like we're in a different pattern for sure. Lol.
Old March 16, 2017   #206
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Thought rain was over but looks like rain Tuesday through Saturday. Last few years have been no rain from now til next year. We've been going 7 months or more without rain! Looks like we're in a different pattern for sure. Lol.
My seedlings are outside in solo cups. They just sprouted. Should I move them in with all this rain coming? Think they might get waterlogged! .
Old March 17, 2017   #207
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Down here (SE NC) we had 3 nights of freezing ( Not just frost ) temperatures going all the way down to 20F. I hope that nasty weather is behind us. The lowest in 15 days forecast is 35F. It could well be wrong and go down to freezing. I hope not though.
So I will wait until no lows are under 40f, to get busy planting out my maters. Some of them are getting too tall. But I would not call them "lanky". They are healthy with thick stems, nice foliage.
On the positive side my cole crops are doing great. They didn't budge at those freezing temps.

Happy Gardening !
Old March 18, 2017   #208
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Down here (SE NC) we had 3 nights of freezing ( Not just frost ) temperatures going all the way down to 20F. I hope that nasty weather is behind us. The lowest in 15 days forecast is 35F. It could well be wrong and go down to freezing. I hope not though.
So I will wait until no lows are under 40f, to get busy planting out my maters. Some of them are getting too tall. But I would not call them "lanky". They are healthy with thick stems, nice foliage.
On the positive side my cole crops are doing great. They didn't budge at those freezing temps.
It didn't get that cold here but I live on the very top of a high hill and the north winds were really coming in strong with nothing to block them from my garden the cold was multiplied. I had volunteer tomatoes all over and some were over a foot tall. They got frozen not frost bit. They looked like someone had poured a couple of gallons of boiling water over them. I am so glad I waited. The way I set my plants out it is impossible to cover them and any I set out would have been lost.

Hopefully I will start setting my plants out on Monday. No forecast for anything below 40 and best of all my big tulip poplar is finally starting to leaf out. It sure kept me waiting this year and I'm glad it did. I was so tempted to set some plants out the last week of February and the first week of March.

This weather has been perfect for Brussels sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, onions and carrots. I don't believe I have ever had prettier lettuce than this year and the spinach is going like gangbusters.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #209
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
It didn't get that cold here but I live on the very top of a high hill and the north winds were really coming in strong with nothing to block them from my garden the cold was multiplied. I had volunteer tomatoes all over and some were over a foot tall. They got frozen not frost bit. They looked like someone had poured a couple of gallons of boiling water over them. I am so glad I waited. The way I set my plants out it is impossible to cover them and any I set out would have been lost.

Hopefully I will start setting my plants out on Monday. No forecast for anything below 40 and best of all my big tulip poplar is finally starting to leaf out. It sure kept me waiting this year and I'm glad it did. I was so tempted to set some plants out the last week of February and the first week of March.

This weather has been perfect for Brussels sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, onions and carrots. I don't believe I have ever had prettier lettuce than this year and the spinach is going like gangbusters.

Bill
Happy plant out !
Finally the tulip tree has spoken. It is more accurate than the ground hog.
Here the oak trees were leafing then came the freeze . They are toast. New growth and flowers on the azalea also got toasted. Amazingly, all my cole/cold crops escaped without any injury, except maybe radishes that got some small shock. The champion pioneer of my cold crops is the garlic, planted just before Thanksgiving. Then came parsley and chives, planted around Jan 10. Now I have little bit of close to a dozen things. Lettuce , from the mesclun salad mix, doing great. Got different colors of them.

On the tomato front, I am holding off until I don't see any lows under 40, in the 15 days forecast. That should happen by the coming THURSDAY.

Happy Gardening !
Old March 19, 2017   #210
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Another freeze advisory tonight .

Happy Gardening !