Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 4, 2018   #406
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations Salt! Nice to be able to fix things on your own.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #407
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you GrowingCoastal. Yes, it does feel good fixing things yourself. The computer is running so fast now - it must have been infected for at least a few months.

Back to container gardening: The next two days, my wife is on vacation and I'm going to do whatever she wants to do. The only thing garden-wise I have left growing is okra 5 plants - 5 buckets. Saturday, when she goes back to work, I'm going to dump the 15 buckets of mix that had tomato and squash plants into a large plastic tub and mix it all together. Then put that plastic sheeting I bought over the tub to attempt to keep out RKN and FW3. It's also to add products to change the PH level if need be.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2018   #408
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on the computer fix! Here are two more photos of Astia F1 -- they are delicious. Picked three more today; will probably have five more in a day or two... Then I'll start leaving them on my neighbors' porches.

I will grow this variety for as long as seeds are available. The leaves are beautifully marbled with silver (appears white in the photo), and it must be parthenocarpic -- no bees required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zukes - Astia.JPG (89.6 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Astia 4.JPG (249.8 KB, 251 views)
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018   #409
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Astia F1 sure is fast. Mine reached 5" in only 31 days from sowing.

The first one is going to be used for saving seed, as I have several plants and will likely be overloaded very soon. I have no idea if saved seed will be viable. The mottled leaves makes me think there might be moschata somewhere in the hybrid mix?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #410
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have a very small project going. A little 12 cell pack growing two varieties of seedlings. I have found two cherry tomatoes that can take extreme conditions. They are growing in 4 of those cells. I let the cells dry out in 41C temperatures to a point of most of us thinking they are not going to make it. The mix was bone dry.

I watered them today, and they look wonderful tonight. I have written about these two varieties before. Porter and Japanese Pink Cherry. Their taste and usage are completely different. They have Pink in color and cherry tomato in common. One is sweet, and the other is what you want in your salsa/canning.

Punta Banta would have done well too.

So many ask what tomatoes grow well in hot temperatures. I am experimenting.
Old July 22, 2018   #411
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I love science experiments. Go Salt! It is info that is needed. Keep us updated.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #412
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Post it here instead of my thread.
Put off watering ghost peppers for days on end and yesterday the leaves looked like green strings they were so wilted.
Watered the devil out of them last night and this morning they look like they were never neglected.
I mean I wasn't for sure they were going to come out of it or not and I am the master of plant neglect.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #413
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here's a picture of the recovery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01353.JPG (220.7 KB, 190 views)
Old July 23, 2018   #414
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's less than 24 hours later here at 1am. Those plants are looking even better. I should pot them up tomorrow even though the temperature is going to be around 110F/43.3C. I should get 5 or 6 plants potted up. Going by what I have read, the timing is on-track for this area. Both varieties are not the earliest producers 70-75 days DTM, so I will be pushing it depending on the weather. If the first frost or freeze is in mid-November like it is supposed to be - then there is plenty of time. However, as a child and as a parent, I remember children dressing up as a jacket and coat wearing creature on Halloween.

The plants that you don't see in the trays are Big Beef F1 - the heat was too much for them. The other plants were supposed to be Juliet F1 from 2013 - they chose not to germinate. If I had known that those two would not play well with others, I would have planted Punta Banda instead.

Punta Banta will grow and produce in the desert. A friend sent me seeds that he saved and he lives in the desert. There are tomatoes that will grow and produce in the heat.

So what does that have to do with container gardening? Everything. Containers can be moved to follow the sun. Tomato plants grow large - so it's time to think outside of the box. A cage that could be moved with the tomato plant without disturbing it. If you have a place where the summer solstice and winter solstice doesn't influence your growing - think of yourself as lucky or experienced. I don't have that luxury. Shade trees much older than me have my respect. I won't cut any down so I can grow tomatoes. Instead, I will adjust.
Old August 2, 2018   #415
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I haven't worked on anything gardening-wise in a while. Except keeping that cells tray of tomatoes going. I did pull up the last Porter plant two days ago, but the Japanese Pink Cherry are growing in those cells. They survived 110 - 113 degree humid days here.

That's something for thought.
Old August 2, 2018   #416
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Punta Banda is doing exceptionally well for me in the heat. I have no basis of comparison growing in a normal season with average rain as this is my first year.

Punta Banda is very bushy, unlike anything I've grown before. I didn't get it caged at planting, and in a short time it was impossible to scoop up the branches. If this is one of your container plants Salt, something like a short round chicken wire fence going around the container rim might keep it from being a mess.

- Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It's less than 24 hours later here at 1am. Those plants are looking even better. I should pot them up tomorrow even though the temperature is going to be around 110F/43.3C. I should get 5 or 6 plants potted up. Going by what I have read, the timing is on-track for this area. Both varieties are not the earliest producers 70-75 days DTM, so I will be pushing it depending on the weather. If the first frost or freeze is in mid-November like it is supposed to be - then there is plenty of time. However, as a child and as a parent, I remember children dressing up as a jacket and coat wearing creature on Halloween.

The plants that you don't see in the trays are Big Beef F1 - the heat was too much for them. The other plants were supposed to be Juliet F1 from 2013 - they chose not to germinate. If I had known that those two would not play well with others, I would have planted Punta Banda instead.

Punta Banta will grow and produce in the desert. A friend sent me seeds that he saved and he lives in the desert. There are tomatoes that will grow and produce in the heat.

So what does that have to do with container gardening? Everything. Containers can be moved to follow the sun. Tomato plants grow large - so it's time to think outside of the box. A cage that could be moved with the tomato plant without disturbing it. If you have a place where the summer solstice and winter solstice doesn't influence your growing - think of yourself as lucky or experienced. I don't have that luxury. Shade trees much older than me have my respect. I won't cut any down so I can grow tomatoes. Instead, I will adjust.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2018   #417
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha Salt,
Your post reminds me of all the trial seeds I have tried. It seems some plants have a determination to grow no matter what. Others just cannot cope. I have 1 N-63 tomato plant that looked weak after transplanting. I took it and jambed it a pot and left it . It got watered from being in a tray and that's it. The other plants that were well treated did ok but the small weak one went skyward and now has fruit coming. Ya never know !!!
Enjoy
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #418
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I transplanted those Japanese Pink Cherry plants today. Two of them lasted 2 months in cells. Beside them in two other 5 gallon buckets - I planted seeds...not saved seeds, but seeds from tomatoes I picked exactly two months ago. They have that long of a shelf life. I squeezed out some unfermented seeds into containers. Will they grow or not? Who knows - that's why it's an experiment. I want to see what happens.

I stressed the transplants naturally, but I had to water at times, and I am pushing the unfermented seeds. We all baby our seeds and transplants. I'm trying to replicate nature. I do wish I wouldn't have to water the ones in the cells, but they wouldn't have made it otherwise - we're in a longtime drought.
Old August 10, 2018   #419
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

You can sprout seeds fresh from the tomato.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #420
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Post number 418 was written while I was asleep. It is a health issue. What I wrote is true, but I was unaware of writing it.

The Japanese Pink Cherry tomatoes do have a very long shelf life. I picked them in June and they still tasted great in August. They are a red/pink cherry tomato that was sold as a hybrid for years. They are now OP.

Nan, you are absolutely right. I agree completely.