Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 2, 2019   #316
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Speaking of Salvias......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Morning in the mini-orchard/pollinator garden. Apples, figs, blueberries, pluots, a mulberry and a lemon.
Pollinator plants are arugula, dill, cilantro, hamelia, cerinthe, borage, Abutilon, fire spike, lobelia, African Blue Basil and about 20 types of salvia.

20 salvias??? Somebody has an obsession

I picked up a Salvia "Skyscraper," which I have never heard of. It's still in the nursery pot b/c I have to wait for 3 foxglove plants to stop blooming and pulled so that I can have room for my Wendy's Wish, Hot Lips, and the Skyscraper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0502191458a (1).jpg (366.0 KB, 86 views)
Old May 3, 2019   #317
PlainJane

I haven’t heard of that one either; it’s a nice one.

I ended up with mostly salvias as a lot of other plants I tried just melted away in the heat and humidity. I do love them, though, lol!
Old May 3, 2019   #318
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Donna we both seem to have the same salvia obsession. I ordered 2 plants in 2 colors of the Skyscraper series which is new this year. There are 3 of them. They are supposed to be much like Wendy's Wish and the others in the Wish series, but a bit smaller and better behaved. My WW usually get to be 3x4. Of course it does depend on how large of a pot you give them to grow in. In addition to my salvia and tomato addiction I have a great affinity for agastache's too.
I am in a new home this year and have ordered 30 yards of dirt/compost mix just for the pollinator garden. I can't wait for it to come...
Old May 4, 2019   #319
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Donna we both seem to have the same salvia obsession. I ordered 2 plants in 2 colors of the Skyscraper series which is new this year. There are 3 of them. They are supposed to be much like Wendy's Wish and the others in the Wish series, but a bit smaller and better behaved. My WW usually get to be 3x4. Of course it does depend on how large of a pot you give them to grow in. In addition to my salvia and tomato addiction I have a great affinity for agastache's too.
I am in a new home this year and have ordered 30 yards of dirt/compost mix just for the pollinator garden. I can't wait for it to come...
Wow, 30 yards is a substantial amount! I can’t wait to see that garden!

I absolutely love agastache, and have tried around 12 different ones in my pollinator garden, but all melted away after the second year . Same with lobelia tupa, a bunch of different penstemons, mimulus, zauschneria and Phygelius.
So ... lots of salvias!
Old May 5, 2019   #320
PlainJane

After all the misses - plants that couldn’t take the climate - it’s nice to have an unexpected hit.
This is Lobelia aguana.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 397D9E39-3F74-4CB9-96F0-C5ED55F8C12A.jpg (845.9 KB, 64 views)
Old May 6, 2019   #321
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

My Blue Fortune Agastache didn't even make it a year. When the weather got hot the blooms stopped and the leaves got almost crispy.
Old May 6, 2019   #322
PlainJane

Every one of the 10 or so varieties I tried just melted away after the first year, even with lots of supplemental watering. Sigh. I love them.
Old May 7, 2019   #323
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Salvia

I grow all my varieties in 10 to 15 gallon containers. As well as all my tomatoes and veggies and various plants.

My salvia are :

Black and Blue sage

Grandiflora

Violet Riot

Pineapple Sage (leaves and flowers smell like pineapple)

They get the morning and mid day sun and then filtered sun or shade after 2pm. They often self seed very quickly if you don't cover the head and save the seeds. I do save some for next season. I don't grow them in July or August...to hot for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salvia.jpg (236.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg salvia2.jpg (9.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg salvia5.jpg (500.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg salvia 3.jpg (273.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg salvia4.jpg (27.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg pineapple sage.jpg (295.0 KB, 52 views)
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019   #324
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default This thread is a thing of beauty

Beauty everywhere on this thread!

I like to grow the pineapple sage too...mine seems to grow best in part sun/dappled shade.

Well, the Passiflora Inspiration has recuperated from being cut back in February and is covered in buds. This is the host plant for the Gulf Fritillary and the Julia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0507191205.jpg (406.2 KB, 48 views)
Old May 7, 2019   #325
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Gardenboy, what is the name of the passionvine in your post #18 of this thread?
Old May 7, 2019   #326
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

The passion fruit I have is Passiflora Edulis Flavicarpa. Bloom and fruit all year long. Germinates great with fresh seeds.
Old May 7, 2019   #327
PlainJane

Love your Inspiration passionflower!. My Lady Margaret doesn’t have buds yet but it’s in a shaded location. Haven’t seen Julias yet or Zebra Longwings either, but it won’t be long.

Yes, this is a great thread!
Old May 7, 2019   #328
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
I grow all my varieties in 10 to 15 gallon containers. As well as all my tomatoes and veggies and various plants.

My salvia are :

Black and Blue sage

Grandiflora

Violet Riot

Pineapple Sage (leaves and flowers smell like pineapple)

They get the morning and mid day sun and then filtered sun or shade after 2pm. They often self seed very quickly if you don't cover the head and save the seeds. I do save some for next season. I don't grow them in July or August...to hot for them.

Beautiful salvias!
Old May 8, 2019   #329
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Passiflora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
The passion fruit I have is Passiflora Edulis Flavicarpa. Bloom and fruit all year long. Germinates great with fresh seeds.

The vine I was enquiring about looks very similar to Passiflora caerulea.
Old May 9, 2019   #330
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Passion Fruit vine

I have the Passiflora Edulis Flavicarpa. Has green fruit with little white specks. Will turn light yellow and fall from the vine. Will ripen to a bright yellow with wrinkled skin. Blooms and produce fruit all season. I counted 36 fruit so far right now. 3 fruit have fallen. I always have fresh saved seeds if anyone would like some. The one you are referring to is quite different and the fruit is orange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flavicarpa 2.jpg (228.3 KB, 33 views)