Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 23, 2018   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Cherry Tomatoes for 2018

This is thinking out loud so-to-speak. If you can think of other cherry tomatoes you would grow in containers - feel free to add to my list. I'm making a list of cherry tomato varieties to start sowing today or tomorrow. Most will be grown in containers. Those are:

Japanese Pink Cherry
Peacevine - maybe?
Riesentraube
Riesentraube, Yellow
Sungold F1 - maybe? I haven't had much luck with Peacevine, so Sungold may replace it.
I also have Suncherry Extra Sweet F1 and Sunsugar F1 seeds. I don't know much about the taste of either of these. I tried growing them in the garden with RKN and Fusarium Wilt and neither grew or produced well in 2017.

A couple that Ted sent me:

Mammaw's Treat
Pappy's Dream - not a cherry tomato.

Some that I want to try in the garden are:

Porter
Sweetie Cherry
WOW

I have way too many seeds for those three varieties, and I want to see how they grow and produce (or not) compared to the FFF N varieties of tomatoes I am going to plant out in the garden. WOW grows really tall/long vines. I think they would take a lot of pruning to grow in a container.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Maglia Rosa is a good one for containers. I like it because it tastes good at all stages of ripe-ness

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #3
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Maglia Rosa
I agree.

I also found it to be a heavy producer all season long.

As a bonus, it's a pretty tomato.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

What size of container are you talking about Salt? If it's rather large Sungold would be good, if it is <= 5 gallons it will likely require twice daily watering. Have you considered any of the dwarf project cherry tomatoes that are in development and/or been released?

I found SunGold and Sunsugar to be nearly identical. Sunsugar has ever so slightly thicker skins. In blind taste tests we could distinguish them correctly each time, I don't know if it was the skins or also slight differences in flavor too.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The perfect person to reply about Sungold - I'll be sowing the Sungold seeds you sent me jmsieglaff.
I'm hoping we can buy 3 EarthTainers and use 5 gallon containers too.

Maglia Rosa - I just looked in my seeds binder and yes, I have some. A site http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tom...rod100110.html

Last edited by AlittleSalt; January 23, 2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old January 23, 2018   #6
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Maglia Rosa has been "born again" as an Italian tomato, at Burpee.

It does have an Italian name....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
The perfect person to reply about Sungold - I'll be sowing the Sungold seeds you sent me jmsieglaff.

Maglia Rosa - I just looked in my seeds binder and yes, I have some. A site http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tom...rod100110.html
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Hilarious, , (jerkyBurpee)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My first search was at Tania's site. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Maglia_Rosa I had forgotten what they look like.
Old January 23, 2018   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Galina's
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I remember reading about you liking Galina's, and I have seeds. I hope they are the yellow cherry tomatoes http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Galina%27s_Yellow and not the larger red ones. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Galina%27s_Red

We'll find out, but they are probably the yellow ones.
Old January 23, 2018   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Them and riasedasnob did way better in a shady area than sungold by a long shot.
same spot two different years.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today, I did plant 36 cells of tomato seeds. The ones with an * are not cherry tomatoes. The first 8 cells are of FFF N tomato varieties. The trays that I'm using for sowing tomato seeds in have 12 cells each.

* Amelia VR
* Dixie Red
* Mountain Merit
* Skywave

All four varieties are determinate and look like grocery store tomatoes. That's what my family likes - the harder and more perfect round red looking the better. I prefer taste, but - you know. Of course, the more important reason for me is to see if they will grow and produce in a garden with FFF and RKN in the soil. If they do well, I will be more than happy to grow them for my family and friends. Who knows, maybe they will have some taste?

To finish out that 12 cell tray - two each of:

Sweetie cherry
WOW

The second 12 pack has:

4 cells of Porter
2 cells of Peacevine
4 cells of Japanese Pink Cherry (Anyone who likes cherry tomatoes should try this one.)
2 cells of Maglia Rosa

The third 12 pack has :

2 cells of Riesentraube (Raisedasnob as Worth says)
2 cells of Yellow Riesentraube
2 cells of Sungold F1
2 cells of Mammaw's Treat
* 2 cells of Pappy's Dream
2 cells of Galina's

There is some interesting history about all of these, most of which I learned about here at Tomatoville. Many of these, I can write about my personal experiences growing them. The FFF N, and those from Ted are first time growing for me - along with Galina's and Maglia Rosa.

I have one more 12 cell tray that I would like to sow sometime between now and February 14th. These tomatoes, I would prefer to be cherry tomatoes for two reasons. The first being that cherry tomatoes are easier to grow, and the second is that my family likes cherry tomatoes a lot more than slicers. I am going to plant these all over 11.21 acres. I'm not sure the RKN and Fusarium Wilt is everywhere on this property? It means carrying water and basic gardening supplies over 11+ acres. Exercise is good.

There are many different types of soil here. And even more types of shade/sun/wind conditions to plant/grow in here. I'm not going to give up growing in ground before I exhaust all possibilities. Besides, I think it will be fun and beneficial for our family to garden over the 11 acres.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; January 24, 2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old January 24, 2018   #13
CC8147
Tomatovillian™

Galina (yellow cherry), Snow White, Sweet Chelsea, and Sweet As Linda were some of the sweet cherry tomatoes that I grew last year in 10-gallon containers. I was pleasantly surprised over how tasty they were; they rivaled my garden staples Sweet Million and Sungold F1 and grew well despite Mother Nature's interferences. They are definitely worth repeating.

By the way, I grew Sweetie (cherry) and Pappy's Dream last summer in 10-gallon containers. The soil in my immediate area is poor so containers are a gardener's lifeline here.
CC8147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #14
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Galina's. Produces right up till frost in my garden.
Sunsugar tastes like Sungold minus the tart component. Sunsugar does not crack like Sungold. Both produce early and continue producing until frost in my garden.
Sunpeach is an excellent tasting grape shaped cherry. Good producer but does not last till frost in my garden.
Grew Sweetie last year. It was a spitter in my garden. Will never grow again.
Black Cherry is also excellent.
Esterina acted more like a determinate in my garden. Produced later than Sungold and gave one big flush of fruit and then died. Taste and texture was good but I prefer Sungold and Sunsugar.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #15
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Sungold didn't do great for me in containers production wise. The leaf-stem to fruit ratio is pretty poor.

Galina is awesome and fairly productive if you manage to keep the pests away (very sensitive to pests like spider mites).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote