Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 30, 2017   #1
rjs55555
Tomatovillian™

Default Suggestions

I have a microdwarf yellow tomato(F3) that is very sweet with no tang whatsoever. I am looking to cross it with a fruity flavored tomato to get rid of any tang and make it more candy/Fruit like in taste. Any suggestions. I am hoping to make a tomato that my daughter will eat....

I am Growing Isis Candy and Sungold and hope to cross these two, but am looking for other suggestions for future projects. I am kind of hoping this variety with remain without tang.

Also on the Microdwarf side I have planted 170 seeds from my Red Robin/Black Cherry cross. Hopefully this yields 10-11 micros and out of those 2-3 Black tomatoes.

I have also planted a few seeds from my Yellow Pygmy/Sungold cross. I am hoping this cross took. I will find out once the seedling comes up to see if it is regular size.

Cross attempts planned this year:

My Sweet no Tang Yellow micro x Isis Candy
Sweet no tang x Sungold F1

Mohamed x Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf
Chibikko x Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf
Girl Girls Weird Thing x Red Robin
Ester Hess Yellow cherry x Yellow Pygmy
Green Zebra x Yellow Pygmy
Green Zebra x Red Robin
Submarine Blush x Mohamed
Purple Bumblebee x Yellow Pygmy
Pink Tiger x HP1 (High Production Yellow Micro from one of my crosses)

Last edited by rjs55555; March 30, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
rjs55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #2
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Those should be great. You'll find some surprises in the F2's and 3's in the Sungold cross. My experience with Sungold as a parent is that all kinds of unexpected things pop up.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2017   #3
rjs55555
Tomatovillian™

The yellow pygmy/Sungold (f1) crosses did take. I will save as many of these seeds as I can.
This season I am hoping to refine my yellow micro and find a black tomato from my Red Robin x Black cherry F2's. The nice part about micro's is I can grow a few over winter as well if none come out this summer.
Old April 7, 2017   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Orange Russian 117 has a very fruity taste already. Crossing your Micro F3 to it could help your cause for sure. I too have a son that does all the work helping me grow tomatoes but refuses to eat them. He says all tomatoes taste like meat and only meat should taste like meat
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2017   #5
rjs55555
Tomatovillian™

I will need to get a few seeds. It would be nice to have some mini hearts as well!
Old April 7, 2017   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs55555 View Post
I will need to get a few seeds. It would be nice to have some mini hearts as well!
Pm me your address i will send you some no sase required.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

It's a bit of a brain thumper to think of a fruity tomato that is sweet with no tang... but I finally thought of one - Anna Russian. Not yellow or a cherry but...
These were so sweet, and tasted like watermelon to me, not a bit like a tomato. I found it shocking at the time. Now I know better.
Another candidate might be Zolotoy Zapas. This is a determinate or semi-determinate variety with small, firm, orange fruit that were fantastic tasting, with a hint of canteloupe.
I am out of Anna Russian seed but I do have some ZZ if you want them, PM.

Your crosses are exciting, the world needs more great micros so keep up the good work!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote