Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 17, 2014   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default Steelhead - Brandywine x Ananas Noir

I think this is a great cross (but I'm a bit biased ).
Steelhead is My Brandywine x Ananas Noir. It's named for one of my favorite fish - the awesome turbo-charged sea-run rainbow trout. Steelhead are a beautiful green with a big red stripe. Here's one from near my home in Idaho --

Here's the parents:

My Brandywine (good production version of Suddith's). Many years ago I had one particular Suddith's plant vastly out produce all the others, and it's stayed higher production through the years.

Ananas Noir, the classic, great tasting tricolor.

The original goal with this cross is a larger, meaty, PL with the Ananas Noir color scheme, high production and FLAVOR. Preferably the nice, balanced Brandywine type flavor.

Here's the F1 from last year --

It was RL and very, very productive.

Anyway, the F2 extravaganza was fun this year. I mostly saved the Potato Leaf's, because that's what I was after, but I did do a few RL's, and I'm glad I did.

Top to bottom, left to right : JL1, JL4, JL5, FY 2-1,
FY 1-2, FY 1-3, FY 1-4, FY 1-5, FY 1-6

JL3, JL4, JL7, JL8, JL6, JL10,
JL1, JL4, JL5, FY 2-1, JL12,
FY 1-2, FY 1-3, FY 1-4, FY 1-5, FY 1-6

FY 1-5. Basically exactly what I was hunting for. #3 in flavor (still very good, but could be deeper). Otherwise, very productive. Meaty, with a small blossom scar, and the color pattern is dead on. I'm going to do quite a few F3's from this one hunting for the one with perfect flavor (which I'm sure is out there).

FY 1-6 (ignore the miss-labeled one). The taste was there for sure (could be the best of all along with FY 1-3), the texture was perfect, and the RL plant was very productive. The second one I'll carry forward. I think the potential on this one is big. It begs a question - what's the likelihood I'll see a green/pink BC out of this? I guess the real question is, has anybody seen a red/yellow bicolor F2 seg out into a green/pink F3?

FY1-3. The earliest (though I wouldn't call it early, more of the early end of mid-season ). It's pinker than this photo makes it look. Tastes just like it's Brandywine mama. I'll probably do a 2 or 3 F3's from this one based on taste alone, but it could use a good home if anyone's looking to adopt. But it's not what I'm hunting here.

FY1-4

FY1-2. Very, Very productive, a real cage-bender. But a little late for my taste

FY 2-1. Pretty and sweet, but just sweet, and I want balance. Another one I'd love to find a home for.

JL11. The best of the "black" seg's. Good flavor, and on the early side, but most of the fruit were too irregularly shaped for my ideal.

I don't have an individual pic of it, but JL5 was also a very good bicolor, but it too was on the sweet side, without an acid balance, and I don't have room for it. Anybody who wanted to play with FY 2-1 would likely find some of these in their care package as well.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2014   #2
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

They look amazing
Interesting to look at your pictures too, as I grew an F1 this year of a similar cross, Ananas Noir x Brandywine Suddith's. I'm looking forward to the F2's even more now.
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014   #3
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayc View Post
They look amazing
Interesting to look at your pictures too, as I grew an F1 this year of a similar cross, Ananas Noir x Brandywine Suddith's. I'm looking forward to the F2's even more now.
Should produce very similar results (basically the same cross). For what it's worth, part of me wishes I 'd grown more regular leaf F2's.
Old October 24, 2014   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Paddy, I just saw this thread and have to ask about how many crosses do you do each year and how much room do you have to grow out F2's and more from other selections each year?

BTW , it's Sudduth, not Suddith, as in Doris Sudduth Hill who originally sent the seeds for Brandywine to Ben Quisenberry as also noted in Tania's page for it,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...e,_Sudduth%27s

Carolyn
Old October 24, 2014   #5
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Paddy, I just saw this thread and have to ask about how many crosses do you do each year and how much room do you have to grow out F2's and more from other selections each year?

BTW , it's Sudduth, not Suddith, as in Doris Sudduth Hill who originally sent the seeds for Brandywine to Ben Quisenberry as also noted in Tania's page for it,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...e,_Sudduth%27s

Carolyn
One year I did 105 crosses, but most years I do between 10 and 20. Most of them never see dirt. I have a super easy climate for getting crosses to take, so if I have an idea, I just do it, and decide later if I want to work with it. I grow about 500 segregates per year (plus 60 OP's), and a friend of mine a few blocks away does 100 more seg's for me every year. It lets me do about 30 segregating lines per year (I like to try to do 20 per seg for F2's and 3's and 10 each for F4's and 5's). So if what interests me in a given year is an F5, then I'll do extra F2's or 3's of something else. Optimally I'd love to do 50 plants per segregating line, but then I'd be a farmer not a gardener.
Old October 24, 2014   #6
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Also, thanks for the spell-check. I knew that! :-)
Old October 25, 2014   #7
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMc View Post
Should produce very similar results (basically the same cross). For what it's worth, part of me wishes I 'd grown more regular leaf F2's.
I'm finding for me, regular leaf types generally work better, whether it's the climate, lower light levels, my management or what. Though I love potato leaf shapes and they just look such gorgeous plants.

I wish I had your energy and growing space, but tomatoes generally grow best grown under protection here. 20 f2's would be great to grow but I'll aim more at 6, maybe 10 if I close my eyes and taste the F1's again!
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #8
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Here's some more of my results, though the main one I'm carrying forward is from one of the people I sent this out to last year.

FY4-2,FY4-5, FY4-8 and FY4-12. 4-12 get's a few segs worth of growouts on taste alone.

FY4-13 Best tasting straight bicolor to come out of my garden last year. Definitely doing a dozen F4's

L6-5 Just as pretty, not as tasty.

L6-5, L6-8 and L6-12

FY4-11 Taste 8/10
Old April 6, 2016   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

that fy4-13 is just an awesome color. I would buy it just for the color.
Old April 11, 2016   #10
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

The FY4-13 is something to look at, I had to stare at it a couple of times, looks like you have quite the project going.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #11
MissS
Tomatovillian™

FY4-13 Is a sight to behold. You sure do have some nice tomatoes going on there.

Thanks for sharing.
Old March 17, 2017   #12
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

A selection from my 2016 Steelhead growouts -

L11-17, L11-7 , L11-10, L11-6

L11-6, L 11-17

L11-10, L 11-7

It’s all about 11-17. Nearly perfect. It’s about “finished” :-)

Old March 17, 2017   #13
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Oh man Paddy those look awesome.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017   #14
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Oh man Paddy those look awesome.
Thanks! Want some?
Old March 17, 2017   #15
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Those sure are beautiful! You have been doing a fantastic job. How long until these are "finished" do you suppose?

If you are offering......