Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 1, 2014   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I have a hard time understanding why any offense was taken to the op myself.
As Bill wrote above:

(Marsha, the reason I take exception with your OP is that running controversies between forums where it is known that certain members harbor ill feelings toward members of the other forum causes nothing but trouble. It has been horrible in the past, and I hope it does not repeat now or in the future.

Secondly, I had hoped you would wait for clarification from me at the other forum as it was clear that the OP over there asked for such clarification, and only 20 - 22 hours has elapsed between the OP and the current moment ... most of which time I have spent (other than sleeping last night) digging up banana trees, etc, ahead of tonight's hard frost.

Also, your opening sentence was structured somewhat as a "it seems" sort of insinuation, which may be a misconception on my part, but there you are ...)

$$$$$$$

Which explains to me, at least, why there was some offense with the post Marsha put up.

Bill and I have both HAD it with these kinds of discussions as we both have said and we are the only two who can say that and yes we remain friends. We've bumped heads over the years b'c neither of us are shy nor passive. But respect and friendship remains. Not ONE of you who has posted has a clue as to what has really happened about this controversy since 2003, just Bill and myself.

This stuff has been going on since about 2003/2004 and here it is 2014, after literally tens of threads at several message sites.

I think I can speak for both Bill and myself when I say I hope this thread does NOT continue. I mean what's left to say?

Bill, why don't I start a thread on another variety called by two names, and only one IS ( does not stand for Indian Stripe correct, and that's Splash of Cream, in this corner, vs Variegata, aka Variegated in the other corner.

Will you join me in that one?

Carolyn, of course joking about Variegata and Splash of Cream.
Old November 1, 2014   #32
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Well I guess then we should not post unless we are certain there is no past baggage associated with our thought, variety, question, etc.

I understood what Bill said and I understand what you are saying Carolyn. I also understand that there was an offensive post on this thread but it was not the op. Anyone who missed that should perhaps "try harder" to understand.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2014   #33
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think I can speak for both Bill and myself when I say I hope this thread does NOT continue. I mean what's left to say?
Well, maybe it should be locked then.
As an interested bystander that has seen all the back and forth several times over in various forums in years past, I agree it has all been hashed out to death.

But should anyone be upset when someone newer to the forums, who is not aware of previous old controversies, has questions on a variety new to them? Lots of people cross post on several forums without any ulterior motives. I feel bad that the OP was made to feel bad for stirring the pot, when she didn't know there was a pot to stir. And I fully expect some future poor innocent to do it again.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2014   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Well I guess then we should not post unless we are certain there is no past baggage associated with our thought, variety, question, etc.

I understood what Bill said and I understand what you are saying Carolyn. I also understand that there was an offensive post on this thread but it was not the op. Anyone who missed that should perhaps "try harder" to understand.
Linda, of course you can post any questions you have that have not been answered by the above posts.

I just went through the thread again and see one post that could be considered as offensive by some and no it was not Marsha's original post.

Carolyn
Old November 1, 2014   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Well, maybe it should be locked then.
As an interested bystander that has seen all the back and forth several times over in various forums in years past, I agree it has all been hashed out to death.

But should anyone be upset when someone newer to the forums, who is not aware of previous old controversies, has questions on a variety new to them? Lots of people cross post on several forums without any ulterior motives. I feel bad that the OP was made to feel bad for stirring the pot, when she didn't know there was a pot to stir. And I fully expect some future poor innocent to do it again.
Dee, while you were posting I was answering Linda and said that if she had any Questions that were not answered in the above posts, to do so.

It had never occurred to me to close the thread as long as there were others who had questions not already answered.

In my post above I cut and pasted and bolded a paragraph from Bill where he explained why he was upset with the OP's post and I did agree with him since he was never given a chance to clarify at whatever place it is that they both participate.

Can we ALL calm down now and proceed?

I hope so.

Carolyn, watching for snowflakes.
Old November 3, 2014   #36
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

My suggestion is that the IS and IZ folks line up on opposing goal lines of a football field
dressed in their Monsanto armor and armed with spray bottles of Round-up in one hand and
a potted "Indian" of their choice in the other hand and have at
it. The survivor gets the title and can keep the name. I will cover all bets on the sidelines.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote