Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old March 21, 2013   #1
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Default Considering a simple project.

I am going to be growing all my Big Beefs, 6 of them, in a 4x8 raised bed this year. Last year I did some in 18 gallon containers but I really liked how the 4 I planted in the raised bed did.

I currently have a 3/4 EMT conduit frame the length of the bed at about 7 feet tall that I use to support plants with strong string and tomato clips and I really like that method. So simple but very strong.

Anyway, I am going to add another conduit frame for the second row of 3 tomatoes and was thinking I could drape plastic over the two frames, weigh the ends down, and then drape plastic over the sides making a type of greenhouse and I could plant earlier.

I would be able to raise an end or both ends to allow air flow on warmer days and just remove the whole works when it gets warm enough.

Anyone tried anything like this? Any idea of how much earlier I could plant?

Thanks!
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Iif you tend to get a nice spell in the spring followed by two 3 three days of frost I think you could plant toward the beginning of that nice spell. I wouldn't want to try to combat temperatures in the 20s every night and highs no more than 40s during the day. I don't know when that happens in Virginia.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #3
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

My average April weather is 77/44. I plant out Last of April first of May and have never had frost issues.
Probably could go a couple weeks earlier at least without problems.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #4
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysan View Post
My average April weather is 77/44. I plant out Last of April first of May and have never had frost issues.
Probably could go a couple weeks earlier at least without problems.
I would think even three to four weeks. I have plants out now in a leaky old glass glazed unheated greenhouse here in eastern MD.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote