Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 28, 2014   #1
ajcolino
Tomatovillian™

Default that`s how Iva taught me

to introduce my way of nursering seedlings:

sweet and hot peppers on 2.2.2014

pictures taken today

and my adjusted and improvised wintersowing on 29.12.2013

and WS this week

we did have some snow and ice in between, and ice on the snow also, of course

but these days...

most of the things, I know now, I`ve learned through TV, internet, books. But Iva from TV was the reason of my addiction to tomatoes. She taught me most of the tricks. My grow list this season is.....ahm...long. Over 100 sorts of tomatoes, around 40 of sweet peppers, around 30 hot peppers....don`t mention peas, beans...the theme for another post.
ajcolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Wow, you've got it bad- that's a lot of plants! I love the toothpick idea and it's great that you have such a large area that's warm for germination. Your wintersowing looks wildly successful! You must have a very large garden.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #3
ajcolino
Tomatovillian™

most of my greens I give away to my friends and relatives. My hobby, their gain!
Old February 28, 2014   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcolino View Post
most of my greens I give away to my friends and relatives. My hobby, their gain!
Yes- it's so much fun to grow and those on the receiving end seem very happy, too.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #5
peppero
Tomatovillian™

WOW!
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And I know Iva well and have for several years. She participates in my annual seed offers here and has sent me some great varieties from Slovenia, her Iva's Red Berry, which I just offered in my now closed seed offer and I also SSE listed it whch made her happy, then there's Istra, a really good one and the one that needs a regrow since the person who did the seed production didn't get enough seeds for me to offer, and that one is Primorski Pacug.

Her website is also beautiful as well.

So if Iva taught you what she knows you're a very lucky person.

Great photos.

Carolyn
Old March 1, 2014   #7
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I am so impressed, especially with your peppers. There is no heating mat to sprout those? What temperature is your place indoors?
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #8
ajcolino
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I am lucky indeed. She said to me, you're just as tomatojunkie, as I am. I took that as a great compliment. Yes, Istra is a great tomato, this year I am trying a new one, also an old sort, temporarily I named it Stari Istrski, in translation that would be Old Istrian. I am going to compare it with Istra, see, if they are the same, if not, I'll be glad to send you some pictures and later some seeds. Iva is also interested in trying it. Hope, you are well today.

Luigiwu, the seeds are being sprouted at the top of the fireplace, it is quite warm there, I have to be carefull not to fry them. Just as long, to see the sprout coming out, then I move them on the shelves. Ther is no artificial lightning, just our plain, old sun.
Old March 1, 2014   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcolino View Post
Carolyn, I am lucky indeed. She said to me, you're just as tomatojunkie, as I am. I took that as a great compliment. Yes, Istra is a great tomato, this year I am trying a new one, also an old sort, temporarily I named it Stari Istrski, in translation that would be Old Istrian. I am going to compare it with Istra, see, if they are the same, if not, I'll be glad to send you some pictures and later some seeds. Iva is also interested in trying it. Hope, you are well today.

Luigiwu, the seeds are being sprouted at the top of the fireplace, it is quite warm there, I have to be carefull not to fry them. Just as long, to see the sprout coming out, then I move them on the shelves. Ther is no artificial lightning, just our plain, old sun.
aj, if that new one you are trying turns out to be different from Istra I'd love some seeds in the Fall.

If you look at my recent seed offer here, in the Seed Exchange subforum labelled Trade, you'll see that I offered varieties from many places outside the US .

And for anyone who sends me a variety not yet highly circulated I also give back in same, as thanks, and that's separate from my seed offer.

Iva's English is superb, so is yours. Should I assume that most from Slovenia are that proficient with English?

As for me, I don't know one word in Slovenian.Well, I do know the words Istra and Primorski Pacug.

Carolyn
Old March 1, 2014   #10
ajcolino
Tomatovillian™

What can I say...there's only two million of us. English is almost not an option. You should see the look in the eyes of people visiting our country....being adressed in language, they understand.

Last edited by ajcolino; March 1, 2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: rewriting
Old March 1, 2014   #11
ajcolino
Tomatovillian™

What can I say...there's only two million of us. English is almost not an option, but a must be. You should see the look in the eyes of people visiting our country....being adressed in language, they understand.
Old March 2, 2014   #12
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Most of us learn English in the second half of elementary school, some of us keep learning through high school and in college. If you are willing to learn, you are able to do so.
Many people however, especially older folks, used to learn German as their second language, so those don't know English. Youngsters do learn English but some just don't see the point in knowing it. Too bad, I love it and use it a lot...

AJ, great pics, as always! And you KNOW, I didn't teach you anything, you learned those things yourself
Hope to see you again soon (before August this time )
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #13
ajcolino
Tomatovillian™

As long as you're not tired of my questions and remarks and requests