Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 23, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Black Plum as a Sauce/Paste Variety?

The first time I heard of Black Plum was here at Tomatoville. Worth1, replied in one of my threads that it grows well here where I live. I am going to grow several sauce/paste type tomatoes in our spring 2015 garden and others in our 2015 fall garden. What I have researched is that there are many different colored sauce/salsa/paste type tomatoes. Examples that I am interested in trying in the two 2015 growing seasons here in zone 8A Texas are:

Red - Roma, Chico III, Rio Grande, and San Marzano
Orange or red/yellow mix - Speckled Roman
Yellow - Banana Legs
Black - Black Plum

What I don't really know is if Black Plum is thought of - or used as a sauce/paste type tomato? If it isn't, is there a good black tomato variety for making sauces/pastes?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Black plum is a nice meaty small plum tomato. It is not a paste but it would make nice dark rich sauce. They are small though and although they peel easily you would need a lot of them to make any amount of sauce I think. To me they are more of a salad tomato but I did can some whole last year and they were extra nice being so small and uniform in shape and size. They are a prolific producer. Pm me and I'll send you some seeds if you wish.
KO
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

The Black Plum I had this year were delicious. They're not too juicy, so I'm sure they'd be great sauce tomatoes. Too bad I had to wait for a couple of days between each ripe one, so no much material for sauce... Also, they're so sweet and tasty that it would be hard for them to make it to the kitchen before being devoured in the garden...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #4
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

I had more Black Plums than I wanted a few years back. I picked them all and made ketchup with them. Darn tasty.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Black plum is a nice meaty small plum tomato. It is not a paste but it would make nice dark rich sauce. They are small though and although they peel easily you would need a lot of them to make any amount of sauce I think. To me they are more of a salad tomato but I did can some whole last year and they were extra nice being so small and uniform in shape and size. They are a prolific producer. Pm me and I'll send you some seeds if you wish.
KO
Karen
Thank you Karen.

I am having auras today from a new medicine. I've never dne a PM here. I'll be beter later tonight. cant type today
Old August 23, 2014   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

No rush and no problem, feel better, all I need is your real name and mailing address. Click on my avatar picture and an option will appear to send me a private message.

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Thank you Karen.

I am having auras today from a new medicine. I've never dne a PM here. I'll be beter later tonight. cant type today
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if more versions of Black Plum are circulating. I would definitely not call my black plum a paste. It is fairly seedy and when juiced the juice is quite thin.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I wonder if more versions of Black Plum are circulating. I would definitely not call my black plum a paste. It is fairly seedy and when juiced the juice is quite thin.
I was kind of wondering the same thing because this thread was started when I Googled, "Black Paste Tomatoes" The results brought up this: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Black+Paste+Tomato
Old August 24, 2014   #9
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

No experience with black plum, but I grew Brad's Black heart. It was a dense meaty tomato, not a lot of seed/gel, and was mighty tasty too. I included a bunch in my sauce this year and I thought it turned out fantastic.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Our youngest son is named Bradly (no E). When my wife finds out there is a tomato called "Brad's Black heart" - we will be growing it. Thanks Hunt-Grow-Cook, and nice nickname you got there.

Welcome to Tomatoville
Old August 24, 2014   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Our youngest son is named Bradly (no E). When my wife finds out there is a tomato called "Brad's Black heart" - we will be growing it. Thanks Hunt-Grow-Cook, and nice nickname you got there.

Welcome to Tomatoville
There is also a tomato named Bradley( E is present, sorry). I grew it, nice flavor juciness production, doesn't get out of control growth. Here's the link to it at Tania's.
You can PM me if you want a few seeds, I think I have some left from 2012. ( not a general offer folks)
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Bradley
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Black plum grows well in Texas.
Better many small than few large.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #13
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Welcome to Tomatoville
It is a wild boar farms variety and probably one of Brad's more popular offerings. Wasn't the most productive for me this year, but everything on that side of the garden has struggled with productivity. The tomatoes we did get were well worth it though.

Thank you for the welcome by the way.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #14
imp
Tomatovillian™

One can use a food mill to avoid having to take each tomato skin off if using smaller tomatoes or making a bunch of sauce.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
There is also a tomato named Bradley( E is present, sorry). I grew it, nice flavor juciness production, doesn't get out of control growth. Here's the link to it at Tania's.
You can PM me if you want a few seeds, I think I have some left from 2012. ( not a general offer folks)
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Bradley
Thank you

My new avatar picture is a picture I took an hour ago of the tabasco peppers I wrote about in a different thread.

Oh, our other son is George. I haven't found a George variety so far.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; August 24, 2014 at 01:44 PM.