Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 14, 2013   #46
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

An F3 of Chibikko x Sungold. Growing in a 1 gal pot. 9" tall with first flowers at 3".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3_CHISU_2.jpg (510.2 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg F3_CHISU_4.jpg (518.7 KB, 221 views)

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2013   #47
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

These are all Small Woolly Blue (F2) x Mydfa Yellow (F2) F2. All fairly small plants height around 6 - 10 inch. The blue woolly comes from Tom's Seattle Woolly Blue Mammoth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-028.JPG (178.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 1-029.JPG (148.0 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 1-031.JPG (197.7 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 1-034.JPG (145.4 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 1-035.JPG (164.7 KB, 210 views)
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2013   #48
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

I grew Yellow Furry Boar from WBF last year and it came out as a dwarf type which I crossed to a small growing striped GWR dwarf. F1 fruit and two of the F2' plants, both under a foot at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009-003.JPG (135.6 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 1-049.JPG (155.3 KB, 195 views)
Old July 30, 2013   #49
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I love micro tomatoes. Well done.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #50
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
I love micro tomatoes.
Me too
Old August 3, 2013   #51
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Me three.

The Chibikko x Green Zebra seedlings have all come up, and are very healthy and lush. Getting ready to move them to their permanent homes. Any recommendations for final pot size? A 6" pot is (very roughly) 1.75 quarts (I stopped up one of mine and filled it with water).

I also have Mohamed, Minibel, and Red Robin growing for comparison.

And, oddly enough, one of the Dr. Carolyn x Pink Berkelely Tie-Dyes seems to be miniature as well. It's ridiculously tiny compared to the others in the batch!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #52
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

May not be genetic dwarf. You do have DC x PBTD F2 seed which is where that would show up if it was a bee made cross originally, but all the F1 plants from that cross are uniform, so not very likely.

I doubt it's a seed mixup on my part because I'm very careful in my processing and storage...but stranger things have happened... Could just be a runt.

The DC x PBTD is a full size plant and would best in the ground. I'm looking for good taste, color and stripes on that one. Cherry toms are my favorite!

The pix below are the parent of your F3 seed. Should be a micro determinate and stripes may show up if you grow enough plants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
Me three.

The Chibikko x Green Zebra seedlings have all come up, and are very healthy and lush. Getting ready to move them to their permanent homes. Any recommendations for final pot size? A 6" pot is (very roughly) 1.75 quarts (I stopped up one of mine and filled it with water).

I also have Mohamed, Minibel, and Red Robin growing for comparison.

And, oddly enough, one of the Dr. Carolyn x Pink Berkelely Tie-Dyes seems to be miniature as well. It's ridiculously tiny compared to the others in the batch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2-1_Plant_5-19-13.jpg (535.2 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg F2-1_Fruit_5-27-13.jpg (101.4 KB, 205 views)

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin

Last edited by ChrisK; August 3, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old August 3, 2013   #53
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Yep, I'm going to plant out all of the DC x BTD in my best bed, on the side of the house, as soon as it gets just a little shadier. Right now it's set on "broil". If I think they're getting a bit crowded (the heat and shade makes everything grow a little lanky) I may try putting them out and rigging up some shade cloth, but right now I think everything is happy.

Quite interesting results on several fronts, even though nothing is flowering just yet. First, the seedlings (from both crosses) started in peat-lite mix in 16 oz cups (five to a cup) are quite a bit larger than the ones I started individually in coir pellets. Potted them all up the same day, but it's still very noticeable. The roots were better on the ones in the coir pellets, though.

The tiny tiny runt DC x PBTD has very tiny leaves, too -- will be interesting to see if it grows out of it or stays small! It's smaller than my pinky nail (while the largest is the size of my palm) but not weak or sickly looking -- they're all very healthy.

I'm currently trying to figure out a good permanent home for the micros. They're such pretty plants they really deserve a nice container! But I have twenty of them.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2013   #54
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I've got F3s in #1 pots right now starting to put on fruit. One thing about these micros is that one can crank thru multiple generations in a year! Septoria has hit them pretty hard lately though. Pix coming soon.

And if anyone has a lead on accession LA3729 I'd be grateful if you'd ping me!

Old August 26, 2013   #55
Rachel W
Tomatovillian™

If these are for indoor winter growing I can volunteer for some seeds if its not too late. I even have a two foot by eight foot grow light I used last year to start my plants indoors. Let me know!
Rachel W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2013   #56
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I might have just the thing. Keep your eye on this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel W View Post
If these are for indoor winter growing I can volunteer for some seeds if its not too late. I even have a two foot by eight foot grow light I used last year to start my plants indoors. Let me know!

Old August 30, 2013   #57
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Hey Chris! I'm available too. I've got a three tier light stand. I was going to start some Hahms Gelbe Toftmate seeds, but if you've got something that I could do instead, I'd love to help. Just let me know.

Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2013   #58
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting work.
Old August 31, 2013   #59
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Well its been a crazy busy summer for me. So I did not get to start all f1's. I did however start about 9-10 on accident by letting them ferment too long . Which ones I'm not sure but I do have em labeled. Hopefully I will be able to get ripe fruit off all of these. Probably will set up the mini greenhouse by mid Oct to increase/extend chances of getting seed.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2013   #60
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
And if anyone has a lead on accession LA3729 I'd be grateful if you'd ping me!
Did you try contacting the TGRC?
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote