Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old May 12, 2015   #31
4season
Tomatovillian™

No marinade injectors untill turkey time but the needle 1.5 inches long for the syringe was 21 cents. The brand of myco I bought (Recharge) isn't real concentrated but has the four glomas species listed in post 10 plus 4 kinds of bacteria. Anybody try this on peppers ?
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #32
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
vivaroots dont seem to have PGPR bacteria. What product do you use to provide PGPR bacteria to the roots then?
I use a lot of things to add beneficial microorganisms to my seed starting and transplants. Since I make my own seed starting mixes I incorporate compost and worm castings to the mix which adds a lot of various species of beneficial bacteria. As an insurance policy I have used various inoculants. I've used Mycogrow and Myco Madness in the past. This year I used some Myco Madness I had left over from last season at the seed starting stage. This year at potting up besides the VivaRoots! I used Advanced Nutrients Voodoo Juice, I got a small free sample bottle from a rep one day at one of the hydroponics stores. Free is good when you can get it. Voodoo Juice is a liquid bacterial inoculant that's popular with the hydroponics crowd.

This year I'll be trying Plant Success Great White as a root dip at transplant.

There is a couple others that were mentioned in the Biological Control for Cucumber Beetles & Bacterial Wilt thread, Roots BioPak and Fox Farms Kangaroots
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #33
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Theres the hydrosources Myco Evolution Root Inoculant 1lb for 15 bucks 60702 propagules per /lb then you go to amazon and theres http://www.amazon.com/Endo-Mycorrhiz...do+Mycorrhizae
with 100,000 propagules per/lb. - 4 species endo mycorrhizae.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #34
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
Theres the hydrosources Myco Evolution Root Inoculant 1lb for 15 bucks 60702 propagules per /lb then you go to amazon and theres http://www.amazon.com/Endo-Mycorrhiz...do+Mycorrhizae
with 100,000 propagules per/lb. - 4 species endo mycorrhizae.
The Sustainable Agricultural Endo Mycorrhizae is the same MycoApply product as VivaRoots!
Old May 13, 2015   #35
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
The Sustainable Agricultural Endo Mycorrhizae is the same MycoApply product as VivaRoots!
Vivaroots is $37.00 per lb

Sustainable Agricultural Technologies, Inc Endo Mycorrhizae is $18.50 per lb
Old May 13, 2015   #36
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Vivaroots is $37.00 per lb

Sustainable Agricultural Technologies, Inc Endo Mycorrhizae is $18.50 per lb
That's a good deal per pound if you need that much. But what would I do with 2lb.? I could have bought 1lb of VivaRoots! for $30.99 but 8oz is far more than enough to do my whole garden + all the extra plants + probably my neighbors whole garden and still have some left. I don't want a lot of leftover product, I'd rather save my money and buy a fresh batch next season.
Old May 13, 2015   #37
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
That's a good deal per pound if you need that much. But what would I do with 2lb.? I could have bought 1lb of VivaRoots! for $30.99 but 8oz is far more than enough to do my whole garden + all the extra plants + probably my neighbors whole garden and still have some left. I don't want a lot of leftover product, I'd rather save my money and buy a fresh batch next season.
Use the remainder on the whole garden when you plant your winter cover crops. Maybe do your yard too!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015   #38
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Use the remainder on the whole garden when you plant your winter cover crops. Maybe do your yard too!
I already factored in the cover crops. Do you think I should myco the weeds in my lawn too?
Old May 13, 2015   #39
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

I share my mychos with my aunt so the 2 lbs isn't to much. I have a large garden and hope to expand it even further my aunt lives on a farm next door to me.
Old May 13, 2015   #40
mashermike
Tomatovillian™

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Garden...os+mycorrhizae

Mike
mashermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015   #41
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I share my mychos with my aunt so the 2 lbs isn't to much. I have a large garden and hope to expand it even further my aunt lives on a farm next door to me.
Then that's a good deal for you. For folks who have never used biological inoculants before some don't realize how little is used per plant even with multiple applications.
For potting up I dusted the roots and the hole. Even applying it liberally that way I hardly put a dent in the 8oz bag. I don't even know how may total potted up tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, ground cherries and annual herbs I have, maybe 100 or so.
I'll be using more on the established perennial herbs, Alpine Strawberry's and such with the marinade injection method right into the root zone. I'll add some more of the VivaRoots! into my plant out root dip with the Great White too. One good thing about myco inoculants is there's no harm in using too much.
Old May 14, 2015   #42
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashermike View Post
I have used that 2 years ago. It does work great. I haven't done a trial to compare it to other products though.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #43
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I realized I had a pack of Mykos Granular left from last year so I used it on the last batch of onions I planted.
Old May 17, 2015   #44
4season
Tomatovillian™

If when setting out tomato plants I water them in using beneficial fungi and bacteria, then I water with city water with cloramine, am I getting any benefit ? If the chloramine all reacts in the top inch or so all is good but if it works down for 6 inches or so I am wasting time and money. Anyone know of a research report ?
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #45
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
If when setting out tomato plants I water them in using beneficial fungi and bacteria, then I water with city water with cloramine, am I getting any benefit ? If the chloramine all reacts in the top inch or so all is good but if it works down for 6 inches or so I am wasting time and money. Anyone know of a research report ?
No. You must use de chlorinated water.