Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old February 5, 2010   #16
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I wanna go vacuum llama balls!

GrannyG - you got the better deal - last month we took in a 46 yo parrot whose original owner passed away - Boris is different from any other critter I have ever dealt with. He bites! Bite if he is po'd, bites if he loves you - I'm nursing a 2 cm gash across the top of my thumb where he decided to take a hold & give me the "modified nutcracker treatment" for asking him to "step up" on his stick to get to his "play area" on top of his cage.
I'd rather be rushed & spat on than gnawed up by that little creature's beak (& I can't let the so-in-so know it!). Besides his gooey poos aren't any good for my garden.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #17
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Stormy, I hear ya. I've got a Quaker who found us, never found his owners. He was tame when we found him, but he definitely likes to bite, pinch, whatever. I don't imagine mine bites as hard as your parrot does, but it still hurts. And of course, there's the trust issue, when is the next time he's gonna take a chunk outta me? Now my other bird is a sweetie, and I've never had a problem with him, so this Quaker is definitely 'challenging'.

GrannyG - you got the better deal - last month we took in a 46 yo parrot whose original owner passed away - Boris is different from any other critter I have ever dealt with. He bites! Bite if he is po'd, bites if he loves you - I'm nursing a 2 cm gash across the top of my thumb where he decided to take a hold & give me the "modified nutcracker treatment" for asking him to "step up" on his stick to get to his "play area" on top of his cage.
I'd rather be rushed & spat on than gnawed up by that little creature's beak (& I can't let the so-in-so know it!). Besides his gooey poos aren't any good for my garden.[/quote]
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #18
GrannyG
Tomatovillian™

Years ago, I took in two parrots and a pot belly pig from a man who was very ill...he called and asked me to take them because he knew I would take care of them...One was an Amazon grey and the other one was green with a red head, can't remember the kind..the Amazon grey, Joey, could bite a chicken bone in half. He had lost most of his feathers, had been fed soda crackers..what a challenge he was. He would whistle till he almost broke my ear drums..he slowly liked my kind of food, and loved his parrot mix with the hot peppers. He loved raw peanuts and green beans. We had him for years. I miss him..He would yell at me, "You wanna hear?" and the parrots died within an hour of each other. They were very old. By the way, Suzi Pig is still alive. She has a thousand hard wrinkles now, and quite often i have to "roll the pig" as she can't get up, but she still likes to lick my shoes and nuzzle me. The man recovered, but never came back to get his pig...LOL
GrannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #19
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

You are a good woman GrannyG. All is well with Boris today. He will sidle over tot he part of his cage nearest you if he wants something & sometimes comes out with a little"want it, want it". He struck major paydirt today - I was "sampling" some extra coconut cream pie custard (too much for the one deep dish but not quite enough for two) I had made yesterday & Boris was very interested. So I offered him 1/2t or so on a spoon... OMG, I have never seen a parrot actually licking anything before! He held onto the spoon & his little tongue went to town. Made it very clear he wanted MORE. He ate about a tablespoon - if it kills him, he dies happy.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote