Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old June 26, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Leaf Colors are Different

This is my first year growing tomatillos. We bought two plants without any identification other than the sign saying, "Tomatillo". I researched about needing to plant more than one plant, and I planted the two plants 3 feet apart in our large traditional type garden. They are growing very well and producing enough to make all the salsa verde we want.

The strange thing is that one plant has dark green leaves and the plant beside it has light green leaves. Both plants have tons of yellow flowers, but the darker leaf plant produces way more tomatillos. I am curious as to why?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #2
MdTNGrdner

Hi Salt, I know this is an old thread, and I can't answer your question about what causes it, but I'm noticing it myself this year. We have three rows of tomatillos, and a few plants are a lighter shade. All grown from the same seed as last year... maybe I didn't notice it last year due to them being planted in with some tomatoes, but this year it's noticeable. If I can figure out how I'll get a picture up tomorrow.
Old June 17, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Hi MdTNGrdner,

Wow, I made this thread about 30 days after joining Tomatoville. That was about 8,500 posts ago

The tomatillos did make some excellent salsa verde for the 4rth of July.

If you need help posting pictures - I'll do what I can to help you.
Old June 18, 2017   #4
MdTNGrdner

Okay, here goes

IMG_6966.jpg

IMG_6967.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

Not a huge difference but enough to notice. I just thought it was curious. Have you seen it since your post?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6966.jpg (478.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6967.jpg (730.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6974.jpg (523.4 KB, 20 views)
Old June 18, 2017   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Just that one year.

You are going to have a lot of tomatillos
Old June 18, 2017   #6
MdTNGrdner

Lol
Yes, that's the plan... barring weather, disease, and pests (or in spite of ), I hope to put up a LOT more salsa this year. I only had 20 pints or so last year and it was gone quick! One of our favorites, that and hot sauce - we eat it with everything and a lot of it.

Leaf color difference I'll just chalk up to "one of those things" unless or until it seems to be making a difference in plant health.

Thanks!