Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 20, 2022   #1
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Default Help...what is eating my tomato plants (whole plant)

I have been growing tomatoes for over 20 years. I plant my tomato plants the same way every year. I always put a plastic barrier around the the tomato cage to protect from the wind, and also from rabbits (please see video)....I have never lost a plant (8 week old seedlings) using this method for 20 years. Last thurs night I planted 12 plants, and did not put a cage around them because I ran out of time. The next day 6 plants just dissappeared. No trace of anything. Last night I put plactic around the remaining 6 plants, and this morning some critter climed ito my cage, and ate three more. We do have a problem with rabbits (they are everywhere), but in 29 years thay have never eaten a protected plant. Could a rat eat an entire plant? We have never had squirels before, but my neighbor said he trapped one not too long ago. So I guess we may have squirels, but I have never seen one. What ever is eating the plant consumes the entile plant. We do not have deer. Thank you
https://vimeo.com/690281754

Last edited by hornstrider; March 20, 2022 at 04:22 PM.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2022   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

The only way to know what is snacking on your plants is to observe the offender with your own eyes - a camera with a motion-detection feature would be the idea way. Other than that, everything else is an unfounded guess on our part (and likely not helpful to you).

Here in the Detroit area, squirrels, birds, and rabbits never touch my tomato plants (I know my personal experiences are unique only to me, not others). But deer here will eat a tomato plant down to the ground with no trace left in mere minutes. Animals, like humans, are opportunists and will take what they can get. Something surely likes what you have on offer.

Whatever it is, I hope you find a competent mitigation strategy in the near-term so that you can enjoy a 'fruitful' harvest! Good luck!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2022   #3
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I just purchased a game camera....We do not have any deer..I live on 2 acres is a subdivision with a fenced back yard, and the garden is also fenced, and we also breed labradore retrievers, and 3 labs patrol the back yard...thank you for your reply
Old March 20, 2022   #4
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
I just purchased a game camera

That will certainly help you solve the mystery.

Maybe it is a chupacabra! Ha ha ha...
Old March 20, 2022   #5
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

or the cukagrilla monster
Old March 20, 2022   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Maybe it's a hungry Labrador!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2022   #7
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Did the eaten plants that you got the cage and windbreak around disappear as well? If so, wouldn't it have to be pulled down from below? I had one plant disappear on me and assumed it was a mole. I have a mole problem I simply can't get ahead of. Luckily they usually don't bother my plants.
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2022   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
I have been growing tomatoes for over 20 years. I plant my tomato plants the same way every year. I always put a plastic barrier around the the tomato cage to protect from the wind, and also from rabbits (please see video)....I have never lost a plant (8 week old seedlings) using this method for 20 years. Last thurs night I planted 12 plants, and did not put a cage around them because I ran out of time. The next day 6 plants just dissappeared. No trace of anything. Last night I put plactic around the remaining 6 plants, and this morning some critter climed ito my cage, and ate three more. We do have a problem with rabbits (they are everywhere), but in 29 years thay have never eaten a protected plant. Could a rat eat an entire plant? We have never had squirels before, but my neighbor said he trapped one not too long ago. So I guess we may have squirels, but I have never seen one. What ever is eating the plant consumes the entile plant. We do not have deer. Thank you
https://vimeo.com/690281754

You have a serious problem that needs help from Native Americans in your area.
They have secrets of dealing with this type of problem. I am trying to get permission to write a Book one day, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2022   #9
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Raccoons might carry the whole plant off. If the root ball is still there, I'd suspect rabbits or deer.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2022   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Rabbits for me, here in Indiana. The damage was severe many years ago, but more people=more dogs and cats= fewer rabbits now.

Last edited by Greatgardens; March 25, 2022 at 09:16 PM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2022   #11
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Dear Hornstrider

I sent your a message to help in your active emergency in the honor of the Help I received from the Late Dr. Carolyn and other here that has helped me.

If it works: please give a donation to any Native American Tribe, Amen!!
Old March 27, 2022   #12
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Like I said I installed a game camera. I found the culprets pictured below (pesky rabbits). They have not bothered any plants in sucure wrapped cages. I put hardware cloth (2 ft. high) at the botom of my fenced garden. I think I am good. Thanks for all of the suggestions.rabbit with plant.jpg

Last edited by hornstrider; March 27, 2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old March 27, 2022   #13
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Glad that you figured that mystery out!
Old March 27, 2022   #14
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

They are so pretty but will eat your Garden-up.