Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 4, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Crazy Seeds

Do you all get those seedlings that sprout without any real root and are just a curly white stem like a bean shoot without any leaves or vertical habit? I get a few of these crazy seed every year. Maybe 10 per cent. Plus a few headless freaks. There's the possibility I didn't cover them with enough mix. I'll replant the freaks and see if they behave. — Grub.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2006   #2
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Yes- I get a few of both types myself every year- and you can bet your bottom dollar that its nearly always from a variety that you wanted the most to try, whilst the more common varieties sprout like a grass lawn - mostly perfect.

They say that one can increase the better germination results by covering the seeds with jet black polythene sheeting to exclude all light until they sprout, as they are supposed to germinate better in the dark.

But I for one, always forget to try it, and continue to use clear see through polythene sheeting- so I can actualy see whats going on with the seeds through the clear polythene.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Good Tip

Thanks MJ,
I didn't know that ab out the black plastic. I slip white carry bags oveer the trays, but the meat from the butcher is handed over in black carry bags (why I don't know). So there's some food for thought. I'll switch over in future. Also have black plastic garbage bags.

Plenty coming up now, only a few holes here and there. Fresh sure is best on the seen front. Good growing...

Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote