Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 10, 2011   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default Anybody try this one.......

Murray Smith, got this one in a trade a few year back. I've got plenty info on the history here http://www.slobg.org/SaturdayFollowup1April_10_04.htm

just wonering if anybody has grown this one and what they thought.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
Murray Smith, got this one in a trade a few year back. I've got plenty info on the history here http://www.slobg.org/SaturdayFollowup1April_10_04.htm

just wonering if anybody has grown this one and what they thought.

Damon
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...tomato&gs_rfai=

Above is a Google search which suggests that it's a CA thing and that only plants are sold.

Nothing at Tania's website, nothing in the 2010 SSE YEarbook and I had a lingering memory that Gary Ibsen got what he called Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red from a plant breeder but checked that at Tomatofest and it was Archie________ a different plant breeder.

I didn't see any sites in the Google search where seeds were sold, just places to buy the plant.

Damon, for heaven's sake why do you want it knowing it isn't a heart shaped variety?
Old January 11, 2011   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Grew it in 2010 and it's quite a good one. Mostly 8-12 oz's and very good flavor with a touch of that heirloom zing I like. Only had one plant, but it grew true to the descriptions and was at least average in production. It was still flowering and producting when the first frost hit. I found it to be a semi late on the DTM thingy.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Grew it in 2010 and it's quite a good one. Mostly 8-12 oz's and very good flavor with a touch of that heirloom zing I like. Only had one plant, but it grew true to the descriptions and was at least average in production. It was still flowering and producting when the first frost hit. I found it to be a semi late on the DTM thingy.

Ted
TEd, what was the source of your seeds b/c all that I saw, at least that I remember, ahem, were sources for plants in CA.
Old January 12, 2011   #5
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default Murray Smith

I also have seeds of this but haven't grown it yet. Mine came from Russ G. and he got it from Wintersown. I used to work with a fellow with that name. lol
Neil (Canada)
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2011   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
TEd, what was the source of your seeds b/c all that I saw, at least that I remember, ahem, were sources for plants in CA.
I got mine in a 12/12 swap in 2008 over on GW. "One of the Earls" ran the big trade. The packet I received was labeled as being from a person using the handle of "slo-garden".

When I have seed received this way, I always grow it out before I profess to actually have a certain variety. This past year, it grew out true as per all the descriptions I could find, so I think the seed I received is true.

I even offered it out in my SASE giveaway this winter.

Let me know if you want or need some seed. (Carolyn ONLY. This is not a general offer)

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old January 12, 2011   #7
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I believe slo-garden was my source too. We made a direct trade in 2008 on GW.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2011   #8
Structure
Tomatovillian™

They sell plants every year at Cal Poly. I've never grown them, but have friends that have. It's a good producing red tomato. Personally, I'm not that impressed with it...if only because there are so many very good tomatoes out there.

The perception here on the Central Coast is that many types of tomatoes don't like our cool nights and foggy days. I think there is some truth to that, but a lot depends on the individual season (last year was very cool with plenty of fog, the year before warm with little).

There is also the issue of all the little micro-climates along the coast. Here in SLO were Cal Poly is located, it's fairly warm and mild with some fog. Ten miles towards the coast in Morro Bay or Shell Beach and it can be significantly cooler (in the summer) and much foggier. Ten miles inland in Atascadero or Paso Robles, it is MUCH hotter with limited summer fog that usually burns off.

I'm sure slo-garden has the real thing. I've bought plant from her before and they were as advertised. Also, the real thing isn't hard to get here, at least as plants (which IMO are bad transplants...Cal Poly sells them as huge plants in one gallon pots...a way of justifying a high price, but also causing transplant shock).
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone grown this recently?I don't see any further comments.

I've had it in my stash for a number of years and I'm trying to rejuvenate my inventory. Its dated 2011 and I have no idea of the origin, other than a swap.

Ted, do you have notes or a photographic memory. I'm looking for the plant size.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

My database says my one plant was a 4' by 6' and rather bushy with medium dense foliage. I was using the "florida weave" support system that year and most of the plants in the row Murray Smith was in ended up sprawling after some high winds from a thunderstorm actually destroyed all the support. My notes say the downburst gave us winds exceeding 60 mph.

I ended up sending the seeds I had to Carol Knapp when I downsized my collection by over 200 varieties a few years ago.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old February 17, 2016   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I went back up to the initial link from 2011 to see what the variety is, but it's a dead link for me.

And when Lisa asked if any one was growing it and Ted replied,I still don't know,so please let me know.

Carolyn
Old February 17, 2016   #12
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I went back up to the initial link from 2011 to see what the variety is, but it's a dead link for me.

And when Lisa asked if any one was growing it and Ted replied,I still don't know,so please let me know.

Carolyn
Murray Smith is the name of the variety.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
Murray Smith is the name of the variety.
Thanks, and the reason I asked is b/c I thought I might find something in my 2016 SSE YEarbook and I did, actually from a graduate of Cal Poly.

Perhaps all that I'm
going to type here was in the original link,I have no way of knowing that, so if I repeat info I'm sorry.

The listing was from someone in Ontario,Canada

Ind plants, RL (I'm abbreviating her full words). Good production of medium to large red beefsteaks from 10-14 oz with excellent traditional tomato flavor. This tomato was developed by Howard Brown, former Dean of College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences at California Polytechnic University,San Luis Obispo, CA. in honor of his friend Murray Smith. Cal Poly is my alma mater. Seeds from Trudi Davidoff of East Meadow,NY.

Carolyn
Old March 1, 2016   #14
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking for these seeds as well. I'm in Northern California, so Cal Poly is a day's drive away for me. Anyone know of any seed sources?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #15
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Ted and Carolyn. JosephineRose i will see if there are seeds left in my baggies. It would probably be 2 or 3. Did you need a large number? I will be sure to save at the end of the season.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote