Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 30, 2009   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default My lilly plants are dying

All of my lilly plants are turning brown. They have flowers that are abaout the open but the plants are dying. We have had unusual amounts of rain here in June. Could this be the cause?

Elliot
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2009   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I should think excess rain could be a problem for your lilies. Since they are grown from bulbs, the bulbs are susceptible to rot. Have these lilies been in this spot for years? Different lilies prefer different soil pH, so if these are new plantings, maybe the soil is not to their liking. Far as I know, they all like a well-drained soil.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2009   #3
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default my lissyi plants are dying

It seems to be affecting all of our lillies. Some are in the ground and others in pots. let me see if I can send a photo as an attachment.
Old July 1, 2009   #4
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

photo of my lilly problem. I am trying to resize it but I am new to this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000013(1) (Medium).JPG (93.6 KB, 28 views)
Old July 1, 2009   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

There is a fungus that affects both lilies and iris that is more evident in cooler, wetter than normal conditions. A copper based fungicide applied according to directions will help. The problem is, it is applied in the spring for best results. After the blooms are gone, remove the leaves and get rid of them. The fungus will be there again next year, so a fungicidal application in early spring will help. There is a lot of this around this year.
Old July 29, 2009   #6
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice. Its very frustrating. I had collected bulbs every year and had a fantastic lilly collection and was the pride of the neighborhood. This year every single lilly plant got hit. I have been spraying but no luck. I wonder if I should just resolve that I cannot grow lillies here for a while? Oh, on a lilly board they termed the problem Botyritis.