Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 14, 2008   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Trimming apple and peach trees...

When is the recomended time to prune apple, pear, and peach trees in a zone 7 garden?
Didn't have the need to beacause I planted then two years ago and they were small. But once they settled in, boy are they growing. Bought them through Starks Bros. and was pleased with them. I've read about where to trim them, and how but not much info on when. They've had some small budding over the last couple months but nothing crazy. Very slow.

Someone told me dead of winter but will I damage the tips if I do it now? I trim my Crape Myrtles in the middle of Feb. Should I wait til them?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I don't want to give any short shrift to any fruit tree experts there might be posting here at Tomatoville, but the Fruit & Orchard forum at GardenWeb has some really good people. I have not found such good advice as I have found there. It makes me want to grow fruit trees even in my 1/4 acre.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just pruned my neighbors fruit peach tree without asking.
She doesn't care and she knows that I am doing the right thing.

I know that you have already read about pruning but don't worry the reason you want to prune now is because the lack of possible bugs and infection in the fresh cuts you make.

The worst thing you will have to do is when you have fruit and you have to thin them from the tree.

But you have to do it if you have a big crop.

Think about what you want the tree to look like later not what it looks like now.
Pruning is a work of art and should be considered one.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

feldon, thanks. Will do this afternoon.

worth wrote..
Think about what you want the tree to look like later not what it looks like now

Yes, I've read that and it seems to be priority number one and should be taken VERY seriously. Even if it means not having fruit for another year or two.

Thanks again,

Greg
Old January 15, 2008   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Greg, just pruned my apple, peach and asain pear trees this past weekend. We had some hard freezes this past December that continued into Jan. But I've seen people prune their trees as late as March. If you come across some well maintain ochards in your area ask the owners or see when they prune. Ami
Old January 15, 2008   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, it would be tough for me to thin out the number of apples and peaches on the tree. But it has to be done.

I have a tangerine tree and the first year, I removed most of the forming fruit as I'd been advised. Last year, at my SO's insistence, I just let all the fruit form. I got about 50 fantastic tangerines out of it. But I wonder if that will affect this year's growth...

UrbanHarvest put on a fruit tree/citrus tree growing class last weekend, but I missed it because of a bike ride.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old January 15, 2008   #7
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Feldon, great idea. I should have thought to look at taking a class. I'm sure someone in the area offers one since I'm kinda in peach country!

Ami, I never see orchards by me but I'll check into that too. Alot of soy beans, and ochra though. That stuff is everywhere by me.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Greg
Old January 15, 2008   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

http://www.pickyourown.org/ may be helpful in finding local orchards. Although any you contact may be really busy and refer you to your county extension office.

Old January 15, 2008   #9
Patapsco Mike
Tomatovillian™

Pruning is not very intuitive. When you watch someone who knows what they are doing savagely whack branches off a tree, it's shocking. It seems that surely what they are doing is going to stunt if not outright kill the tree. But this is based on generations of hands-on experience and the results are shocking. A properly pruned and cared-for fruit tree produces massive quantities of fruit. You have to see it to believe it.

So try to find someone local who will walk you through it. Once you get the hang of it, you will find yourself compelled to prune everything you see.
Patapsco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #10
grungy
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Prune July and early Augustv for fruiting spurs. Prune late winter to promote growth. Prune late spring to remove weak or crossing growth and prune lightly anytime there is broken limbs.
grungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2009   #11
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Fruit on peaches next year will be set on the wood grown this year. Whenever peaches are pruned it is generally to get light into the center or interior. Removing wood now will greatly reduce the amount of fruit on peaches. Apples are totally different in many ways and should be pruned for structure to give broad angles from the central trunk..unless you are doing an espalier. Always leave the apple fruit spurs alone as they will be the source of your blossoms.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote