Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 2, 2014   #1
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Default Where can I find this piece of hardware

I was passing by a local school last year and they were doing container gardening. So I was interested and went in to take a look. While the plants themselves were not really cared for, the containers were very nicely made. They had this metallic corner holder that held the wooden boards in place. Do you know where I can buy/find something similar? Anyone knows what it is called? Thanks

tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to guess that it is extruded aluminum. I'm going to guess that it's a custom piece that goes with windows in the corner of a class room or something like that.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

http://www.gardeners.com/Raised-Bed-...efault,pd.html
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Wow these things are higher than a cats back.
The least they could do is give you 4.
What would you do with just 2 of them?

Last edited by Worth1; March 2, 2014 at 09:46 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #5
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
I was passing by a local school last year and they were doing container gardening. So I was interested and went in to take a look. While the plants themselves were not really cared for, the containers were very nicely made. They had this metallic corner holder that held the wooden boards in place. Do you know where I can buy/find something similar? Anyone knows what it is called? Thanks
I have seen those at Dixieline Lumber centers in San Diego county, among the plethora of galvanized metal braces they sell to the trades. Much better selection than the big box stores. Given the tight spacing, I would recommend a pneumatic nail gun for installation.

Also I'll mention that I build raised beds out of narrow cinder block -- not wood. The wood simply doesn't last. Further, I do not put mortar between the blocks -- I only center-pour them. This insures that moisture can drain out between the blocks. Later this month or next I'll start a thread on it.
Old March 2, 2014   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I have seen those at Dixieline Lumber centers in San Diego county, among the plethora of galvanized metal braces they sell to the trades. Much better selection than the big box stores. Given the tight spacing, I would recommend a pneumatic nail gun for installation.

Also I'll mention that I build raised beds out of narrow cinder block -- not wood. The wood simply doesn't last. Further, I do not put mortar between the blocks -- I only center-pour them. This insures that moisture can drain out between the blocks. Later this month or next I'll start a thread on it.
How many courses do you go with the block?

Worth
Old March 2, 2014   #7
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
How many courses do you go with the block?

Worth
I'll start building them in a few weeks. The block is already on site. I'll use 6" wide x 8" high by 16" long bond beam masonry block. The first course will be subterranean to form a footing, the next two courses will be above ground. So in all, two courses above ground. The beds will be about 12' long and 6' wide on the interior.
Old March 2, 2014   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Richard That is what I thought it would be.

Worth
Old March 2, 2014   #9
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

You might check at your local Industrial metal supply place. I find that they have all kinds of neat stuff that might be useful and things that you might not have even expected.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #10
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

Forgive me, but, why would you,or anyone else need this? why not just nail/screw the corners together? its much simpler and surely cheaper. But if you feel a need for corners like that find a sheet metal place that works with aluminum and have them form you some "angle iron". Then with a saws-all/hacksaw, whatever..cut them them to the length you need and drill holes for screws,nails,(your preference) them to the length you need. I try to go with the K.I.S.S. method...
Keep It Simple Stupid
Old March 3, 2014   #11
peppero
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=madddawg;395232]Forgive me, but, why would you,or anyone else need this? why not just nail/screw the corners together? its much simpler and surely cheaper. But if you feel a need for corners like that find a sheet metal place that works with aluminum and have them form you some "angle iron". Then with a saws-all/hacksaw, whatever..cut them them to the length you need and drill holes for screws,nails,(your preference) them to the length you need. I try to go with the K.I.S.S. method...
Keep It Simple Stupid

I use blocks and crossties as well as various sizes of 1 by and 2 by material. You can also use galvanized sheet metal to reinforce your corners or even wood on the inside of the corners and use screws to secure. It is usually a matter of how much you have to spend or ability to use what you have on hand.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #12
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I have seen extruded aluminum corner pieces like this at Home Depot.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you cut the ends of your boards at a 45 degree angle you could use a piece of angle steel.
Old March 3, 2014   #14
Hermitian
BANNED

If you use masonry block you never have to replace your boards.
Old March 3, 2014   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
If you use masonry block you never have to replace your boards.
You might have to replace the block about every 1000 years.

Worth