Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 18, 2017   #16
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thx, Fred. Chirimen is definitely on next year's grow list! I hear it's very productive as well.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #17
Dak
Tomatovillian™

I've been looking up some of the varieties people mention here and wondering about Chirimen.

Fred, I found two very different looking Chirimen, is it the variety from Kitazawa

Or Sustainable seeds that you like to grow? Both are called Chirimen.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #18
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I have used Kitazawa.

There is some variability in the fruits (between the two photos), but most have tended to look more like the Kitazawa photo.

Also, the Sustainable Seeds photo, seems to in part reflect that the fruits lighten in color for a month after harvest. Eventually they fade from very dark green to almost fully tan, with varying amounts of spotting evident.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #19
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, they looked so different to me, interesting that they fade to a tan color. Are they good keepers?
Old July 22, 2017   #20
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

No.

What we have found is that there is a window of peak flavor between 3 and 5 weeks post-harvest. Flavor gets better for about a month, and then starts to decline after 6 weeks.

The soft, edible skin is also correlated with poor long-keeping, but good flavor. We try to eat and sell most of this variety within the window when they are best, and we keep other squash for later in the winter.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #21
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Fred, I think I'll have to put it on my list for next year.
Old July 30, 2017   #22
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Blue Hubbard & Spaghetti squash as well as BlackBeauty and Golden Zukes. Golden Zukes are prolific!!!

I wamted to grow Neck Pumpkins (aka PA Dutch squash) but ya cant buy seeds up here, and Mike/Victory Seeds and Mike/Ohio Heirloom Seeds do not carry it.

Last edited by stevenkh1; July 30, 2017 at 01:46 PM.
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #23
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Blue Kuri is great too! It's advantage being that hard skin which gives it a 6+ month shelf life at room temperature.

Good flavor too.
I'm looking forward to them. The immature fruits are very pretty! The first one is about ready for a sling (I'm growing all my vine squash up trellises because of limited garden space).

I was worried about pests, as it's a C.maxima, but I haven't found any borer eggs on it. I've been checking daily and spraying BT every few days on the base, so keeping my fingers crossed. The squash bugs and cucumber beetles have been moderately interested in it, but they haven't destroyed it the way they did one of my Rugosa Friulana bushes. The BK is my largest and most vigorous vine so far, as the moschatas are slower to get going (though some turn into rampaging monsters late in the season!).
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote