Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #91
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™
 
chancethegardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 607
Default

I had the longest week of my life.

We all are good. Farm survived Irma with minimal damage as well. Our greenhouse is in one piece and survived 80 mph of sustained winds. I had locked all the seedlings in the walk-in cooler before the fact. If anyone is curious about how long young seedlings would survive without light, my answer now would be "at least 70 hours."
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #92
sfoeyl
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bay area
Posts: 67
Default

Glad that you are safe and that your place didn't sustain a lot of damage. Amazing that the seedlings survived 70+ hours without any light -- must be a record.
sfoeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #93
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™
 
Redbaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
I had the longest week of my life.

We all are good. Farm survived Irma with minimal damage as well. Our greenhouse is in one piece and survived 80 mph of sustained winds. I had locked all the seedlings in the walk-in cooler before the fact. If anyone is curious about how long young seedlings would survive without light, my answer now would be "at least 70 hours."
Glad to hear Chase!
__________________
Scott

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #94
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™
 
chancethegardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 607
Default

Thanks! Some will probably die trying to adapt but I won't complain about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoeyl View Post
Glad that you are safe and that your place didn't sustain a lot of damage. Amazing that the seedlings survived 70+ hours without any light -- must be a record.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #95
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,634
Default

Very Glad to know you are alright, and the greenhouse too.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #96
ddsack
Tomatovillian™
 
ddsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Minnesota - zone 3
Posts: 2,585
Default

I'm very happy to hear you and your property survived the winds without catastrophic damage. It must have been a horribly tense experience for you. Hope the seedlings do well and the next season is good for you.
__________________
Dee

**************
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #97
TessSR
Tomatovillian™
 
TessSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California 90249
Posts: 62
Default

I am glad to hear that you, the family and your farm are all ok.
TessSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #98
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 7,400
Default

Glad you guys did OK, Mehmet.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #99
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™
 
chancethegardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 607
Default

Redbaron, AlittleSalt, ddsack, TessSR, thanks for your messages!

Marsha, did you have to evacuate? Hopefully, you guys also didn't have a lot of damage.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #100
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 7,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Redbaron, AlittleSalt, ddsack, TessSR, thanks for your messages!

Marsha, did you have to evacuate? Hopefully, you guys also didn't have a lot of damage.
We stayed. Not too much damage, a tree got pushed over, a mango lost 2 limbs, and our mailbox came down. Fairly manageable.The storm went on and on- about 16 hrs. We only lost power for about 45 minutes at dinnertime.
I used Saturday to sow this season's seeds, and some are elbowing up today, lol.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #101
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™
 
chancethegardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 607
Default

I'm glad about minimal damage. Have a great season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
We stayed. Not too much damage, a tree got pushed over, a mango lost 2 limbs, and our mailbox came down. Fairly manageable.The storm went on and on- about 16 hrs. We only lost power for about 45 minutes at dinnertime.
I used Saturday to sow this season's seeds, and some are elbowing up today, lol.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #102
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™
 
Salsacharley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,483
Default

Pleased to know you Florida folks are able to move forward without too much loss.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #103
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 19,878
Default

Mehmet, I'm so glad you didn't have the devastation as bad as others did since you save seeds from many rare varieties as many know.

No light for the plants?

I saw the sparkle in your eyes from pictures taken when you went to that SSE event in Decorah,IA, and that sparkle should be enough to keep them going for longer than 70 hours,especially if you sit in a chair and stare at them 24/7.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #104
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™
 
chancethegardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 607
Default

Much appreciated, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Pleased to know you Florida folks are able to move forward without too much loss.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #105
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™
 
chancethegardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 607
Default

Thanks, Carolyn!

In fact, we moved all the seeds (1,000-1,500 varieties), that is the largest private Turkish collection known to me, to Amy's office on the campus on a 4th floor before the fact, with a note addressing the person who would pick up everything in case something happened to us. This sounds very dramatic but it was a huge relief at a time when we were waiting fully clothed in bed, ready to leave in case we received an evacuation order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mehmet, I'm so glad you didn't have the devastation as bad as others did since you save seeds from many rare varieties as many know.

No light for the plants?

I saw the sparkle in your eyes from pictures taken when you went to that SSE event in Decorah,IA, and that sparkle should be enough to keep them going for longer than 70 hours,especially if you sit in a chair and stare at them 24/7.

Carolyn
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★