Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old January 4, 2017   #181
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

nice project!

I'm thinking about starting my own odd cross. I'd like to cross a white acorn squash with yellow crookedneck squash. I will need to backcross once or twice at some point to recover the bumpy crookedneck growth, but i want the white color. I want a white croockedneck squash. Not sure why, i just do.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #182
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Good luck with your project, crossing squash couldn't be easier!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #183
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Default The Story of Justin's Squash

I finally found an F2 generation worth carrying forward. The breeding for it is:

Selfed x (BC Lemon x Justin's LT F1 Seed). I am going to do a video on how I got to this point and put it up on my YouTube channel soon. I attached a pic of the plant. I really like the super aggressive growth, lots of branching, production, and dense yellow fruit that are really tasty. I would have like more pattern on the surface like the parent. Maybe it'll come back in an F3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC F2 Generation.jpg (168.6 KB, 48 views)
Brent M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #184
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! How large are the squash? From perspective, I'm guessing maybe half dollar size? Do you plan to select/breed for a larger size?
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #185
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Interesting! How large are the squash? From perspective, I'm guessing maybe half dollar size? Do you plan to select/breed for a larger size?
Hummm, let me start with a reference. A baseball is just under 3" in diameter. Sounds small, but it's a good chunk of fruit. The main seed squash is 4" in diameter today. I measured it for you. I've been picking fruit at about 2.5" in diameter. Could wait and pick larger I guess. The plant you see in this pic, is the plant in the video I'm about to put up--same time/day. My hand is all over the fruit so you get an idea of fruit size although none are ready to pick.

This plant produces dense squash like the Lemon Squash so it takes longer to get bigger. Denser is definitely my preference. Thinking about it, I don't select for the larger sizes in breeding. I could breed for size I guess easily enough, but it would be a novelty thing for me.

I've got 4 squash lines I'm working on. The only one with any size is the butternut because it's a storage squash and few of them on the vine. Anyway, those are my thoughts on it all.
Old July 6, 2017   #186
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Great stuff Brent! I'll have to check out your video, glad you've got something you love. My F3 squash this year is late and limited due to two episodes of chipmunks digging out the sprouting seeds. I never have had a chipmunk problem before, let's just say they no longer are gracing the Earth with their presence. So we'll see what I get this year, but next year maybe a return to the F3 given the limited plants I've got that didn't get chipmunked.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #187
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Here's the video. The part about Justin isn't too far from the beginning.

https://youtu.be/8WgdOUfc41c