Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 25, 2014   #31
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I'll try one instead of the bush zuke we grew and let the vines crawl toward the trellis. If we love the flavor it always be something to breed into my project down the line. I enjoy Tatume, we always pick it shortly after flowering and grill/roast pieces, we do like the flavor of the lemon squash a bit more though.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #32
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Default Any News?

Just wondering if you've had a chance to get started on your grow out of your hybrid Lemon Tatume. I can let you know what I've found so far. Keep in touch.

Last edited by monty71466; April 20, 2015 at 11:26 AM.
monty71466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #33
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Monty, please do let me know how things go for you! I haven't started them yet. I'll sow them in cow pots around May 1 and stick them in the ground mid May. The weather is still too cool up here to be planting squash and the like.
Old April 21, 2015   #34
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Monty, please do let me know how things go for you! I haven't started them yet. I'll sow them in cow pots around May 1 and stick them in the ground mid May. The weather is still too cool up here to be planting squash and the like.
Hey buddy,

Would you like me to send you the pics privately with comments or publicly here in this thread? I don't want to steal any of your thunder. I have an F2 Lemon/Zephyr that shows similar traits as the Lemon/Tatume. With your permission, I'd like to add your cross into my genetics at some point. Looks promising.

Monty
Old April 21, 2015   #35
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Got your PM! Sounds great! Post any pictures you'd like!

Justin
Old April 21, 2015   #36
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Here's what I've got Justin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LemonComparison.jpg (367.8 KB, 129 views)
Old April 22, 2015   #37
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty71466 View Post
Here's what I've got Justin.
Daggum! I have to grow one of them!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #38
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Monty, thanks for the picture! The habit it great to see. It looks much more Tatume like than I was guessing--I was expecting more Lemon like habit in the F1. Looks like it is a good climber. The fruit looks very Lemon like, which is what I was guessing, at least color. Is there any subtle darker webbing-like lines on the fruit (immature Tatume is light green with webbing-like lines of darker green). I really can't to get mine started!
Old April 22, 2015   #39
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Monty, thanks for the picture! The habit it great to see. It looks much more Tatume like than I was guessing--I was expecting more Lemon like habit in the F1. Looks like it is a good climber. The fruit looks very Lemon like, which is what I was guessing, at least color. Is there any subtle darker webbing-like lines on the fruit (immature Tatume is light green with webbing-like lines of darker green). I really can't to get mine started!
I will post updates if you like focusing on the fruit of course.
Old April 22, 2015   #40
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Any updates are fine with me Monty. Post away! I'll post my updates as well once things get growing. It would be interesting to hear how they do relative to other squash you're growing with regards to fungal issues and insect issues as the season progresses.
Old April 22, 2015   #41
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Default Lemon/Tatume Hybrid by Justin

Justin,

Here is a close-up of the 4 immature fruits. They aren't as uniform as I would have imagined and yet, they are. For example, one plant had slightly more oval fruit vs round and one plant had green in the tips kind of like Zephyr only smaller (mostly). On that green tip plant, one really immature fruit (flower not opened yet), there was 33% or better green coverage. I think the green tip is somewhat common on green/yellow crosses. That plant will obviously throw varying green splashes. It also kind of confirms that Lemon may not be completely stable. Of course, it could simply mean that genetics in plants isn't as simple as we tend to make it out. About imparting stripes. I'll bet the more they grow, the more chances of stripes or patterns developing. It happened with my LZ squash as they matured. They are all branching like crazy and putting fruit on most every node including the new branches. I'll have to cull the branching in the greenhouse. Can't let it take too much trellis space. More to come.

Monty

Edit: I noticed enlarging that there are fruit stem patterns. Should translate into fruit patterns I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150422_10_17_56_Pro.jpg (204.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150422_10_19_28_Pro.jpg (187.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150422_10_20_04_Pro.jpg (172.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150422_10_20_46_Pro.jpg (202.0 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by monty71466; April 22, 2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Observation
Old April 23, 2015   #42
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Nice pictures Monty! They look very Lemon-like. Let us know how the flavor is when you eat some.
Old April 26, 2015   #43
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Default Justin's Tatume/Lemon Cross Update

No pictures, but some observations. Two fruit are pollinated on 2 of the plants now. It's easy to see patterns in the yellow on that almost perfectly round fruit. Not on the other one...yet. The leaves on all 4 plants differ. The fruit on all 4 differ. The setting of fruit on 3 are not every node, but the one with green splashes in every fruit is setting more. Two are getting to be aggressive vining plants while the other 2 are more Lemon like. What a combo. I totally expected more uniformity. Will get more pics as time goes on.

Monty
Old April 26, 2015   #44
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I am excited for the outcome of this project! keep up the good work guys!!
Old April 26, 2015   #45
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the update Monty! Certainly seems a lot of the genetics at play are not simply inherited. If the F1 is a wild ride what will the F2 bring? Can't wait!