Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 21, 2017   #1
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Default My New 35 Days-to-Maturity Yellow Summer Squash

I'm at F6 with F7 seed maturing as I type. I've named my new summer squash "Madison's Cross" because she taste-tested the various generations/iterations with me diligently. She actually loves squash. This is a culmination of years of work and I've got it pretty much right where I want this line.

Madison's Cross is 35 DTM. I still have to do a mass-grow next year and average out the DTM date, but it's looking really early to thie point and for the last 3 generations. I know I'm biased, of course, but the taste is pretty darned great and it has good resistance to powdery mildew.

I do have a YouTube channel where you can see the squash if you like. I'm putting the info out there early. I'm not exactly sure what's next. Market it somehow. We will see, but I'm enjoying putting out what I've done.

https://youtu.be/wvi_BTkcHVo
Brent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #2
LDiane
Tomatovillian™

How do you count DTM? From sowing, germination, flower?

I found out by putting your video on pause

You sowed the seeds July 11. They germinated July 15. You averaged those two dates and started
counting DTM from July 13.

The squash was ready to harvest Aug 17.

Last edited by LDiane; August 22, 2017 at 12:18 PM.
LDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

That is a lovely looking squash, and 35 days is great. Let us know how you decide to distribute the seeds.
What a nice thing to do for your daughter.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #4
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I would love to try some, please let us know when it is available.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

35 DTM is really great. That might even beat the bugs. You look to be growing in pretty small containers. How big are your containers? How big to the squash get?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #6
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
How do you count DTM? From sowing, germination, flower?

I found out by putting your video on pause

You sowed the seeds July 11. They germinated July 15. You averaged those two dates and started
counting DTM from July 13.

The squash was ready to harvest Aug 17.
Yes, that's right.
Old August 22, 2017   #7
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
That is a lovely looking squash, and 35 days is great. Let us know how you decide to distribute the seeds.
What a nice thing to do for your daughter.
Thank you and I will let you know.
Old August 22, 2017   #8
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I would love to try some, please let us know when it is available.
I will.
Old August 22, 2017   #9
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

I love what you're doing, Brent! I've tried to do something like this with an oddball tomato plant, but I didn't have the stick-to-it-iveness to see it through. I've seen some bush variety squash get pretty large and somewhat unruly. I like how these seem to be productive while still relatively small in stature. 35 DTM is really impressive!

~Adam
txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #10
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
35 DTM is really great. That might even beat the bugs. You look to be growing in pretty small containers. How big are your containers? How big to the squash get?
Containers contain about 4 gallons of growing medium (rice hulls). The seed squash I'm saving is now about 8 or 9". I don't expect it to get over 10" or so. The seed cavity is small and it takes a month and a half for full seed maturity after pollination. It's frustrating as far as collecting seed, but it's great in that the squash seed formation is very minimal at eating sizes. I did a comparison of that a couple years ago against early prolific.

They taste best at the size of in the video and before the shiny yellow turns a little more dull...about 6" or so.
Old August 22, 2017   #11
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtstorm View Post
I love what you're doing, Brent! I've tried to do something like this with an oddball tomato plant, but I didn't have the stick-to-it-iveness to see it through. I've seen some bush variety squash get pretty large and somewhat unruly. I like how these seem to be productive while still relatively small in stature. 35 DTM is really impressive!

~Adam
They have a very small footprint in containers. If outside in full sun; however, they're producing machines and create small vines along the stem each producing squash, and much of the time, it produces twins (double fruit at each node). The "vines" are not big and sprawling though. If you look close in the video, you can see some trying to vine now.
Old August 22, 2017   #12
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

I would be interested to grow Madison's Cross when you feel like it's ready for the public!
txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #13
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtstorm View Post
I would be interested to grow Madison's Cross when you feel like it's ready for the public!
You bet.
Old August 23, 2017   #14
imp
Tomatovillian™

I have been reading along as you worked with the parents and have been fascinated. I even bought some lemon squash seed, as 1) you said it vined and I wanted to trellis it, and 2) It sounded tasty and prolific.

Congratulations on your success, and will wait with others until you release seeds !
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #15
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I have been reading along as you worked with the parents and have been fascinated. I even bought some lemon squash seed, as 1) you said it vined and I wanted to trellis it, and 2) It sounded tasty and prolific.

Congratulations on your success, and will wait with others until you release seeds !
I'm working on a back-cross from the line Jason started involving Lemon, but that's not this one. Lemon does vine more than most bush varieties I've noticed and I do enjoy the fruit. The BC to the Lemon-Tatume is promising as a multi-branching viner. The BC is at F2 though. I expect it to tighten much faster than an outcross.

So, I take it your seeds haven't been grown out yet then? Baker Creek?

Tags
breeding squash , early maturing squash , summer squash