Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 30, 2019   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Major Disaster at Muddy Bucket Farm

I can only think that I got a bad bag of Miracle Grow Seed Starting mix. When I woke up this morning and went in to look over the flats to see if there were any new babies, I was met with a gut-grabbing painful sight. Almost all of the little seedlings in the MG trays were down. Of 120 cells, there were less than 25 that were not decimated. Both of the 24 cell tray smelled like moldy sewage. And the 72 cell tray had only 9 cells with living seedlings left. I quickly as I could removed the few seedlings that appeared to be standing on their own and moved them to Jiffy plugs.

I've used MG Seed Starter for a lot of years and never encountered anything like this. I have more seed for most of the ones in the MG, but not all. When I have a full picture of the impact on varieties, I'll know what I might need to replace seeds for.

For Karen and Marsha, the only one I have concern for is Midnight Sun. The one that showed up is recovering in Jiffy mix. I still have half of the seeds sent to me, so I should not have a problem there.

For Steve in Norway, I have seedlings for all three you sent. I have plenty of seeds and seedlings for Altai Orange and the other two. I still have half of the seeds you sent for the other two. So, I don't see a problem there.

I've got a lot of repeat work ahead of me today and tomorrow.

Here's some pictures.

The two 24 cell flats with survivors removed.

DSCF0059.JPG

The 72 cell flat with survivors removed. Pink on the markers is where the survivors came from.

DSCF0061.JPG

Closeup of a section of the 72 cell flat.

DSCF0060.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote