Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 8, 2015   #76
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Carolyn, I only posted it at Tatianna's. I offered to post it here, but you replied that you and Mischka rejected the idea of only one method being posted. If that has changed, then I will do a minor update and post it here as long as you make it a "Sticky". I'm even willing to do a complete "redo" if you'all think it will help. My garden is starting to produce a lot of fruit and this would be a really good opportunity to have plenty of jars of fermenting seeds.
Ted, I do remember it being posted, and I didn't reject it at all for back then Mischka wanted me or one of the other Mods to do one, and I didn't want to and nor did the other Mods. He wanted us to set up FAQ's similar to the one at Garden Web. Mischka was at GW at the time and knew how involved I was with coordinating new FAQ's there, see below,And yes, that was theoretically a good idea.

Maybe it was deleted? I don't know, but I know I saw it and I know that were comments that followed, b'c as you said above not everyone does it the same way and so others were chiming in on what you posted, with all those pictures, and I know I was one who posted on those steps you had which were different than what I did and others were making contributions as well.

it never happened. And now there are many more message sites that have such FAQ's and also many more Google links than there ever were back in the first few years of Tville

The decision to make it a Sticky does not rest with me or the other Mods, that's M's decision.

But instead of jumping through hoops here as long as it's already available at Tania's, which as I said above I didn't know about, that should be fine,

I just wanted to clarify your comment that I rejected it, which I did not, and to add the info about M wanting the Mods to do some FAQ's. I can't remember if you were at GW when I stupidly offered to coordinate the writing all off those new FAQ's.

Never again, I repeat, never again, it was just awful, but the good news was that some darn good FAQ's were written but it took forever b'c I insisted that the rough drafts be open to everyone for additions and corrections b'c I'm an egalitarian at heart, but there were a few who said forget it just write them with no other input b'c it's taking too long.

Did I say I would NEVER get involved in writing/coordinating FAQ's again, yes I did.

Carolyn
Old July 8, 2015   #77
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Do you think I need to add water to this? I just started these seeds.

That looks about right. Don't add any water.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #78
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, you need to keep the 5 to 1 ratio and only allow the seeds in the mix for about 1 or 2 minutes, followed by a really good rinse. AND, don't forget, it is VERY important to put in the water first if you are mixing in the container that holds the seeds. Don't subject the seeds to straight bleach.
Thank you! Got that bolded in my notes too, about making sure the water goes in first.

Neat idea about dehydrating the bits and pieces and parts. Would have never thought of that. I just either eat them or make some really sloppy looking tomato sandwiches from them. It would be nice to have some dried tomatoes for winter.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #79
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Thank you! Got that bolded in my notes too, about making sure the water goes in first.

Neat idea about dehydrating the bits and pieces and parts. Would have never thought of that. I just either eat them or make some really sloppy looking tomato sandwiches from them. It would be nice to have some dried tomatoes for winter.
You can dehydrate the pieces and then, when they're crunchy dry, use something like a coffee grinder to make tomato powder. This can be added to soups and such to intensify the tomato taste. It also goes well with Okra Powder in such things as Hush Puppies, Corn Bread, and Biscuits. I also add some to a couple of the recipes I use for rubs when I'm smoking meats and such.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #80
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What do you do when there are a smaller amount of seeds? The two jars are a Kerr pint canning jar and the little one is a Wyler's Chicken Bouillon Jar. Should I add water to the seeds or leave it as is? Oh, the plant is no longer in the garden - so no chance of getting more tomatoes from it.
If I don't think I have enough 'juice' to get a fermentation going, I get a strainer and some more tomatoes (cherry or other 'juicy' ones). I squeeze them into the strainer over my seeds I'm planning to ferment. This way I get the juice and not the seeds.

I did this a lot last year where I had a cross (so usually only one tomato) where I wanted to save the seeds from it, but I didn't get enough to do a ferment (Personally, if you've got say a 1/4 inch, you can get decent fermentation).

[Most of my crosses yielded far more seeds, but I did one cross last year w/ Jaune Flamee as the female and only got 5 seeds.]

(Jaune Flamee was a great parent both ways, this just happened on one cross)
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #81
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Posted elsewhere is a simple method of using a thermos. You need an accurate thermometer too.

Get the water to the temp you want in the thermos and put the seeds in for the desired length of time. I can confirm that over the 25 min it will lose maybe 1 degree.
Thanks for posting this I think its a great idea that I might be using in the future.

Now is it best to the the hot water treatment right after fermentation or just before planting? (I'm not clear on this).
Old July 9, 2015   #82
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Use it right after your processing method of choice before drying. I've started to do this to all my seeds now. Tap hot water temp is ~55 deg C so it's easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
Thanks for posting this I think its a great idea that I might be using in the future.

Now is it best to the the hot water treatment right after fermentation or just before planting? (I'm not clear on this).

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #83
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
If I don't think I have enough 'juice' to get a fermentation going, I get a strainer and some more tomatoes (cherry or other 'juicy' ones). I squeeze them into the strainer over my seeds I'm planning to ferment. This way I get the juice and not the seeds.

I did this a lot last year where I had a cross (so usually only one tomato) where I wanted to save the seeds from it, but I didn't get enough to do a ferment (Personally, if you've got say a 1/4 inch, you can get decent fermentation).

[Most of my crosses yielded far more seeds, but I did one cross last year w/ Jaune Flamee as the female and only got 5 seeds.]

(Jaune Flamee was a great parent both ways, this just happened on one cross)
I thought of that today when processing a very meaty tomato with very little juice. I added a tablespoon of water, but had the thought of using tomato juice from a juicier tomato. I wish I had done that instead.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #84
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You can dehydrate the pieces and then, when they're crunchy dry, use something like a coffee grinder to make tomato powder. This can be added to soups and such to intensify the tomato taste. It also goes well with Okra Powder in such things as Hush Puppies, Corn Bread, and Biscuits. I also add some to a couple of the recipes I use for rubs when I'm smoking meats and such.
Ted ... Thanks so much for the additional ideas. Appreciate it.

Quote:
I thought of that today when processing a very meaty tomato with very little juice. I added a tablespoon of water, but had the thought of using tomato juice from a juicier tomato. I wish I had done that instead.
I'll have to remember that too about adding extra juice.
Old July 10, 2015   #85
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Agggggg. I need some advice please! I just went to drain the second batch of currant seeds I had fermenting as the first ones had all sprouted. I only fermented for 3 days this time and still found quite a few that had sprouted.

Since I am not confident that I got all the sprouted ones out as these seeds are like dust particles, I am tossing the whole batch and am getting ready to try batch number 3.

What is the min number of days I can try and ferment them and still have them viable? Anybody else grow currants? How do you save your seeds in a cup?
Old July 10, 2015   #86
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Default Bleach Ratio?

I noticed you are using a bleach ratio of 1 part to 4 in your seed processing decription. Wouldn't you use less bleach if using the more concentrated bleach for the new washing machines? (If mixing 4 oz bleach to 16 oz H2O for older bleach formulation would go to about 2.5 oz for the 8.25% bleach - correct?)
Old July 10, 2015   #87
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I noticed you are using a bleach ratio of 1 part to 4 in your seed processing decription. Wouldn't you use less bleach if using the more concentrated bleach for the new washing machines? (If mixing 4 oz bleach to 16 oz H2O for older bleach formulation would go to about 2.5 oz for the 8.25% bleach - correct?)

I have no data that utilizes the new concentrated bleaches. My suggestion would be to spend a couple of dollars and get the "old" concentration and just use it on your seed saving tasks.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #88
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Here this should help.
Or the correct answer would be 2.6 oz instead of 4 oz.
Or 2/3 cup instead of 1 cup for 4 cups of water.
Worth
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja

Last edited by Worth1; July 10, 2015 at 09:26 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #89
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They sell the old bleach at Dollar Tree.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #90
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have no data that utilizes the new concentrated bleaches. My suggestion would be to spend a couple of dollars and get the "old" concentration and just use it on your seed saving tasks.
Ahh, but if I use the laundry bleach I don't have to account for it! Otherwise, I have to present the receipt to SWMBO, who'll ask "What is this for -- did you really need it?"