Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 4, 2007   #1
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Default Dig this. Dig I must.

So, many of us are getting ready for the coming growing season. After I have finalized my grow list, I am planning ahead to get my raised patch in the best shape possible.

Over the years I have incorporated lots of organic compost into the soil and used a tiller to till the compost into the soil. However the tiller could only turn about 18” of soil, and I think tomato roots can go much further down.

This year I am thinking of using a pole digger auger to drill may be down to 48” and get some compost all the way down there.

What do you think? Any advice? Opinion? Experience?

Thanks

dcarch

Last edited by dcarch; March 3, 2007 at 04:44 PM.
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2007   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Here is my take on this situation:

Very few root systems go below the 18" level. Those plants with taproots extending farther than that are searching for moisture rather than nutrients. Even most trees have root systems that are primarily in the the top 18-24 inches in the soil.

Tomatoes, as with most other garden plants, have besides the primary root, secondary roots and root hairs that extract nutrients and oxygen. All of these systems are relatively close to the surface.

I don't think putting compost down that deep would hurt, but I see no real value unless you like to get the exercise that comes with digging holes. Most soil tests for soil health say to get samples in the top 12".

Lots of folks would love to have 18" of good soil and they grow tomatoes on less than that.
Old February 4, 2007   #3
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

I am thinking of doing this because I have read that:
"Below 2.5 feet the branches were shorter and frequently less abundant on these younger portions of the roots. The last few inches of the rapidly growing roots were free from branches. A working depth of about 3 feet and a maximum penetration of 49 inches were found. The rather tough roots were of a light-tan color except the youngest portions which were white."

From here:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglib...10137ch26.html

dcarch
Old February 4, 2007   #4
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

there is some research in the organic farming sector about no-till gardening/farming. The idea being that each time you till, you kill worms, disturb mycorrhizae, crush soil structure, and possibly compact the soil just below where the tines reach.

Ive definately turned soil before, and im less enthusiastic about it these days and dont have a tiller, so it doesnt get done by me as a general rule. (ill shovel-turn a weedy patch to help weeding)

Ive never read anything saying tilling will definately ruin a garden either. Plenty of folks till, especially if youve got a weed problem.

Good luck whichever route you take.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2007   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

12 inch’s of sandy loam and rocks about 5 inch’s of rocks and clay to the center of the earth.
No tilling and I still had great tomatoes.
In this environment I had a yellow pear that had 20’ vines and sun golds with 10’ vines.
Unless you want exercise I wouldn’t bother going to 48” 2’ is more than plenty for garden vegetables.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2007   #6
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

I think it depends on the quality of your growing media and the moisture content. I used Mel's mix (compost, vermiculite and peat moss) in 12" deep raised beds this year with shreaded oak leaves for mulch. I only had to water with my soaker hoses 5 or 6 times the whole summer (it was wet in June) and grew a bunch of plants between 5 and 11 feet tall.

When I pulled the plants, the root balls averaged less then volleyball size with a couple of strangler roots going off in some direction or another. I think that the change in philosophy for tree-planting provides some insight. They used to say dig a bigger hole and fill it with rich soil. But, when you do this, you discourage root growth and the resulting tree stability. I think if you have rich soil that you keep moist, you don't need to till that deep - the roots don't go far because they aren't lacking anything.
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2007   #7
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmoth
there is some research in the organic farming sector about no-till gardening/farming. The idea being that each time you till, you kill worms, disturb mycorrhizae, crush soil structure, and possibly compact the soil just below where the tines reach.
I tilled because I started out with very poor soil. It was yellowish sandy mud with lots of rocks completely without organic matter. It's much better now after working it for several years.

dcarch
Old February 4, 2007   #8
wilderness1989
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Dig this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarch
So, many of us are getting ready for the coming growing season. After I have finalized my grow list, I am planning ahead to get my raised patch in the best shape possible.

Over the years I have incorporated lots of organic compost into the soil and used a tiller to till the compost into the soil. However the tiller could only turn about 18” of soil, and I think tomato roots can go much further down.

This year I am thinking of using a pole digger auger to drill may be down to 48” and get some compost all the way down there.

What do you think? Any advice? Opinion? Experience?

Thanks

dcarch
I've used deep holes for years to good avail. My trick is to go catch a bunch of small fish (Bluegills, Red Ear type) and put a couple of the fish in the bottom of the hole and add a few inches of soil before putting in the plant. Good luck!
Old February 5, 2007   #9
greggf
Tomatovillian™

My parents always did the dead-fish-in-the-bottom-of-the-hole trick for their New Yorkers and Early Girls. Was gross, but sure worked swell!

I'm betting their holes were closer to a foot deep, not 18" or many more mucho feet.

We once had a tomato seedling - a volunteer - that took root in the apron of our driveway, where the blacktop hits the cement garage floor. The "soil" it grew in was about 1/2" of dust or powder. So much for soil prep............. 8)

=gregg=
greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2007   #10
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Dcarch -

Some of my plants only grow in about 12inches of soil.
I empty my entire compost bin every fall - I've heard tilling too much can hurt beneficial micro-organisms ~

The only challenge (which I've learned over the years - and reading "stickys" lol) is blight -

I have had great success with the old "dead-fish" in the compost bin / garden routine ...

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2007   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if a possum would work.
We have plenty on the road .
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2007   #12
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1
I wonder if a possum would work.
We have plenty on the road .
Worth
I thought they are for making pies :wink:

dcarch
Old February 5, 2007   #13
landarc
Tomatovillian™

fresh ones sure, but, sometimes they have been there too long for use in pie.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2007   #14
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Default Dig this. Dig I must.

I converted my rototiller to an earth digger to help me dig deep. Waiting for the soil to thaw to try it out.

dcarch :wink:

Old February 10, 2007   #15
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Dang dcarch.

That monster sure looks dangerous!!!
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote