Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2016   #1
NEPAsonnyboy
Tomatovillian™

Default New plant startup, what go's in the hole?

Getting ready to put tomatoes in garden. When I dig my holes to plant, what do you find is the best startup cocktail for a super lift off?...........sonny
NEPAsonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Assuming your garden soil is good to begin with I don't think you need to throw much in. I dig a hole, put in the plant, throw a handful of composted manure and then pull some of the existing soil around, push down, water and move on to the next. I amended my beds each fall.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Some compost, fish meal and Kmag usually. I'll use Tomato Tone this year!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #4
NEPAsonnyboy
Tomatovillian™

Default do you put down some miracle grow under a compost layer

I have herd about putting down miracle grow an then a compost layer on top, so when the plant is growing it hits the second pocket of fertilizer an takes off again!!!!.................sonny
NEPAsonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I alternate my bucket grown tomatoes with miracle grow liquid and a fungi rich granular fertilizer with good results, so it would also work well in the ground.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAsonnyboy View Post
Getting ready to put tomatoes in garden. When I dig my holes to plant, what do you find is the best startup cocktail for a super lift off?...........sonny
I have never put anything in the hole except the plant, firm it up then water well to get rid of any air bubbles that occur so that the roots can make direct contact with the soil. That's the way we did it on the farm where I was raised,with many acres of tomatoes, and being the farmer's daughter,I learned what to do from my father.

Yes,I know that many use this and that, I can't believe some of the stuff, from matches for S,to epsom salts to whatever, but I'm one who wants SLOW CONSTANT growth in the vegetative phase and won't fertilize until I see new growth in about 2 weeks or so. Pushing rapid growth with amendments in the hole favors BER, upside down leaves,etc, b/c it is a stress.And yes,back in the dinosaur age we had fertilizers,that's for sure,but at the farm they were used as I indicated above.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it and when Freda plants my tomatoes in a few weeks,nothing will go into the hole except the plants and water.

Carolyn, with the caveat that the above is her opinion only, lest she upset the folks who put virtually the kitchen sink in the hole.
Old May 15, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Like Carolyn posted above - I just plant the plant.

However, I had some extra plants that I had no garden space for. I could either toss them Into the compost bin or plant them out in the yard. I chose to plant them and experiment a little. I put both a handful of compost and some fertilizer in the hole. They look like they're growing the same to me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The only thing I put in the hole is the plant itself. The plant needs to have a few days to get its act together and then, if you've prepared your growing medium properly, the plant will, as you say, get a "super lift off".

BTW, all cocktails in my garden are for me. But only if the liquor cabinet is well stocked.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I always add manure/compost before planting and plant directly into that. I then begin fertilizing every 2 weeks until I have good fruit set with a mixture of fish emulsion and kelp.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The only plants I sell are in either 4" or gallon pots, and have a nice compact root ball that is holding a generous sprinkle of Osmocote. I had several market customers come up to me yesterday and remark that all the plants they had bought from me were taking off and out-growing their other plants. They think I have some magic touch with plants, but the magic is just fertilizer.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I tried fish emulsion a few years ago and the danged raccoons dug up everything.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 15, 2016   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah my dog dug a few up the first time I used it, but he knows better now. Luckily they keep everything else away.
Old May 15, 2016   #13
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Van, could you help me with how to train wild raccoons??? The only training they have understood up to now is my 20 guage shotgun. They really don't taste that good, so I would prefer to have a different solution.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 15, 2016   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Get coonhounds, I have a redbone and he was slightly easier to train than a raccoon.