Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2006   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default How much time?

How long must pollen be in 90 + degree heat in order to die? Just wondering, as we get around 90 - 92, while getting into the 60's at night, or is this a factor of many variables?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006   #2
jdwhitaker
Tomatovillian™

There are many variables involved--you won't see massive bloom drop the minute temperatures rise above a certain point. I'm in West Texas too, and have been getting some fruit set the last week, as well as some blooms dropping. The low humidity and cool night temperatures out here seem to help fruit set fairly well, even when daytime highs are in the 90's. The particular variety of tomato also plays a role. There are too many factors to come up with a specific number--in my experience not as much bloom drop occurs in these spring heat waves when it's only above 90 for a few hours. In mid-summer when it's hot at 10 a.m. is when you'll see very little fruit setting.

Jason
jdwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I once saw someone post info that it takes about 2-3 days of really high temps for the pollen to start denaturing. But I've not been able to track down a specific source for that data.

And it doesn't have to be above 90, for I have seen data that says anywheres from about 85 and up, although for most varieties above 90. No, I haven't seen a specific list of varieties with such data.

Perhaps Hortist (Keith) knows b'c he does a lot of directed crosses and may be one who harvests pollen to use in his crosses and he's in the KC area where it can and does get very hot as well.