Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 14, 2012   #16
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
I too, thought of a foliar application, possible strained and diluted. maybe even mixed with my next batch of compost tea.
Charlie
I've seen folks post that they put molasses in that type of tea, also.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012   #17
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

charloie i thought it was a bit high as a few years back i paid 9.00 for 0 lbs so 22 seemed high i bought it from a feed mill in cortland ny that was closing its doors due to the e4conomy after i think about 80 yrs
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012   #18
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonysoilseeds View Post
charloie i thought it was a bit high as a few years back i paid 9.00 for 0 lbs so 22 seemed high i bought it from a feed mill in cortland ny that was closing its doors due to the e4conomy after i think about 80 yrs

I may just open up a couple of places, just so I can have a few going out of business sales.

Kath, it would be in there, I use some molasses when I make my compost tea. 'Gotta feed the micro-herd.
Charlie

Last edited by Got Worms?; June 15, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #19
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

y was wdering if anyone else had this problem i top dressed many of my cucumber plants and tomatoes with alfalfa meal 2 days ago.. whem i checked my plants following morming many of them were dug out by some animal.. i had to replant them and hopefully they will pull through
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2012   #20
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quite a few critters are attracted to alfalfa meal - I'd suggest to work it into the soil, and not top dress.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2012   #21
halleone
Tomatovillian™

I need to renovate the flower beds surrounding my veg garden and was thinking of using peat or alfalfa pellets, in addition to finely shredded leaves. Then I got to thinking about the chemicals the hay farmers use to keep weeds down in their alfalfa fields (I live in farm/alfalfa country), and wondered if this is a problem in the end product? Could it contaminate my beds is the question.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012   #22
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

As far as I know Alfalfa is still not being treated with Picloram, and Clopyralid. But scientists are working feverously to gmo modify Alfalfa so the can blast it with these poisons as well. Coming soon.
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012   #23
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, that takes away a bit of the concern.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I use large amounts of both cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets. The trick is to work it into the soil and water it well and then wait at least a week before planting. It is also a good idea to give the plants a little shot of Miracle Grow because for the first few weeks the cottonseed meal and the alfalfa pull nitrogen out of the soil as they start breaking down. I still use them both as a side dressing for plants and they work so much better if scratched into the soil and then water them well. It takes a couple of weeks before you will see the results as they release their nutrients rather slowly which is why I like to incorporate large amounts into the soil well before planting.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote