Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2006   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Another Sad Tale

As I have related many times over 50 of my 60 plants are in containers with my favorites getting prime spots in self watering 10 and 18 gal totes. Until now I have only lost two plants planted this way - A Striped Roman that I pulled because I didn;t recognize the "wilted gene" and a black cherry that didn't get watered for 4 days.

But now for my tale of woe - I never used epson salts in my mixture before and in my one container a big hunk fell in as I was preparing the mix. I just stirred it in, planted my only Sungold and went about my way. The plant started out great, set lots of fruit and was the earliest to harvest this year. But the leaves were turning yellow at an extremely fast rate and I spray daconil weekly. Upon inspection I noticed there were no lesions on the leaves - just uniformly yellow. Went to the handy dandy Tomatoville Leaf Disorder Link and found my problem - too many salts. Now the plant has continued to go down hill fast even after I tried to flush the salts from the container by over watering. I gave it Super Thrive as a last resort but barring a miracle it will be gone ny Wednesday. Guess I'll be spending tomorrow looking for a SunGold replacement.

Michael
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Michael,

Epsom Salts is magnesium sulfate and the problem could just as well be that the mix was acidified with the sulfate, not that it was a total salts problem.

Also, the 'wilty" gene is not responsible for the wispy, droopy foliage that is seen with so many heart shaped and paste tomato varieties such as you saw with Striped Roman.

Chuck Wyatt posted that at his website and it's wrong.

The wilty gene has to do with recovery from water stress, as in either it does or does not recover well. It does not refer to a leaf type.
Old April 23, 2006   #3
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Thanks for the insight on the Epsom Salts.

And on the "wilty" gene, I made an assumption and I should know better because I do know what an assumption does.

Thanks again.

Michael
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2006   #4
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Sorry about that! I understand fully!-R
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about that! I understand fully!-R

Rena,

Sorry about what?

You totally lost me on that comment b'c I have no idea whatsoever as to what you're referring to.
Old April 24, 2006   #6
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

Default Sungold

Hi Michael,

Would you like a few cuttings?

My Sungold made it through the winter and is huge.

Come see me and take as many cuttings as you like.

My address is 4643 Augusta Drive, Pasadena, Texas 77505

I guess I could mail some cuttings if you think they would survive.
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote