Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2006   #1
lightt
Tomatovillian™

Default Asparagus vs Tomatoes

Certainly off topic but now that the chicken guy is gone, I don't expect to get beaten up too badly.........

I started an asparagus bed/patch a few years ago but decided over this past winter I'd go ahead and pull out those crowns to utilize the space for more tomatoes. My rational is based on the fact that I "think" the asparagus I buy at my local grocery store is at least as good as (if not better!) than what I'm growing (Jersey Giant). Using the grocery, I can "choose" when I want to eat asparagus compared to eating it every night for weeks (-- even if the evenings menu happens to be "breakfast-for-dinner" (i.e. pancakes))

I'm gardening in raised beds so space is the ultimate criteria.

Does anyone think I'm making a mistake by replacing asparagus with room for an additional ten or so tomato plants??
Thanks,
Terry Light
Oak Hill, Virginia
lightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #2
bully
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Does anyone think I'm making a mistake by replacing asparagus with room for an additional ten or so tomato plants??
On this forum?...LOL not hardly. Asparagrass, rose beds, tulip patches, the front lawn and all other members of the non-tomato family can be uprooted at any time, especially if the reason is to add a few more much needed tomato plants.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #3
ACEHearts
Tomatovillian™

As someone who is working on developing an asparagus bed this year, I'll just say I wish I lived closer to you to take your asparagus out so I could plant it myself! LOL!

If it came to a toss up between tomatoes and asparagus though, tomatoes (and really just about every other garden veggie) would win. In my case though we have a HUGE amount of space to expand the garden (once I convince DH that's not such a crazy thing to do ), and my asparagus bed will be up against the shed in an area that usually ends up being a PITB to get grass cut there anyways, now we won't have to!

Oh, and I buy asparagus in bulk in season, blanch and freeze it, so I can get a taste of summer anytime. Not *quite* as good as fresh, but still yummy, and works great for making cream of asparagus soup in the middle of winter! Part of the reason I really want to get my own asparagus bed growing! LOL!

Cindy
ACEHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

How about a compromise this year Terry.
Tear out half and replace with tomatoes.
That way, you may not have so many to force down
when they all come in, but you haven't totally erradicated them that you start to miss it.

Plus you could bring some with you to Tomatopalooza[tm] IV this July!

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2006   #5
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

If you don't have enough room for both, I say whattheheck ~ tear them out. You can buy the asparagus at the market. You can't get the homegrown goodness of a fresh heirloom tomato at the store. Even if you find them at $5/lb, they won't taste as good.

You gotta set priorities.
Old April 17, 2006   #6
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Here's another opinion, thats all it is...)))

Asparagus , when planted, requires a minimum patience and attendance by the grower, of 3 years, before it gives back in good health, it's yield. Therefore, it's not a plant that should be given light thought about. It's very similar to planting a fruit tree, it can live an prosper 25 years , if proper thought and site preparation are integral,in the beginning of it's culture. Asparagus should be placed in a spot that the grower has fully devoted towards it's fruition an good health, for a long time. If these thoughts are second thoughts, and space is a strong consideration, as well as one's satisfaction with commercially grown asparagus...then ....surely, tear em out, so as to give you a place for what you really desire.

One doesnt properly plant asparagus, and then 2 years later, decide it was a mistake. It's a mighty long commitment, or indeed, it was a mistake, from the very beginnin...))) Individual desires are gonna be Paramount, and no one, without understanding your true desire, could properly answer this question, bullet-proof...))) Best Wishes...)))
Old April 18, 2006   #7
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Don't know how tomatoes might go but I planted peppers amongst my asparagus this past season and they both grew really well. The asparagus should be slowing down and going to fern before the tomatoes are too far along. Just a thought.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote