Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 5, 2006   #1
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Default Graft-induced hybrids?

Anyone have experience with this that they would care to share? Or mixed species hybrids?

Unfortunately I accidentally decapitated my only tomato/pepper graft so won't be able to save the seeds from it. My Trifort/Polish Dwarf and Maxifort/Polish Dwarf tomato to tomato grafts are doing well though. Any chance of predicting the results of seeds saved from these?

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2006   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

The transfer of genetic expression across a graft barrier is proven to happen but only as a result of RNA translocated across the graft.

The most recent proven example of something similar to this was in a mouse that contained a gene for black body with a white tail. Specific crosses with pure black mice resulted in a genotype that should have had a black tail but that in fact expressed the white tail character.

The problem with graft induced trait modification is that it would not normally be heritable over a succession of generations.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2006   #3
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Darrel,

So the seeds from the tomatoes on the grafted plant would not carry over traits from both scion and rootstock?

Simple English please... you are replying to an idiot you know.

jt
Old June 16, 2006   #4
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the answers. I sure am disappointed as had high hopes for some different species capsicum grafts.

http://graft-induced.notlong.com