Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 3, 2006   #1
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Default Aunt Gertie's X Cherokee

Last year I had an unintentional cross of Aunt Gertie's with either Cherokee Green or Cherokee Purple. I couldn't tell which, however, Keith suggested that the fruit would have a better chance of being Red if crossed with Cherokee Purple. Personally I was hoping to see yellow fruit which would mean a cross with Cherokee Green.

So the plant has been growing like mad and is full of tomatoes. The shape of the fruit is similar to Aunt Gertie's in the way that it is kind of disc like and less round. Also the fruit is far far earlier then Aunt Gertie's ever could be.

None of the fruit has changed color yet, however, some of it does have BER so I figured that I would see some early color from those tomatoes. There were two that were so badly affected that I simply didn't want to wait any longer. They were getting rotten on the vine and thats never good.

I removed the tomatoes and examined them carefully and there was absolutely no sign of color. It may be premature but I am taking this as a good sign. I figure that if they were going to be red I would have definitely seen color.

Greg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2006   #2
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I will try to find were I tossed them when I get home and give it a try. I won't be long now. Many of the tomatoes are near full size.
Old July 17, 2006   #3
gflynn
MAGTAG™

So the color of this tomato ended up being Red/Orange which comes a no suprise. This mean I will have to wait till next year to see if this has a green-when-ripe parent.

The flavor is pretty good, however, but not as good as its parents (at least this first gnarly looking one).

Greg